Post Thanks / Like
    I just detailed my 2005 Corolla with Zaino and loved it, however, I discovered these spots. Does anyone know what they are? Could they be rock chips? Does anyone know the warranty for paint for Toyota`s? I am really concerned, I take care of my car really well. I always used Zaino.

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to add, there are about 2 dozen of these "spots" on my roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like etchings from bird bombs or something like that to me.. Acid rain would be all over the top parts of the car and thousands of them..

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    it`s not gonna be covered by warranty

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, looks like bird poop etching. I don`t think Toyota will cover it either. Note that just because you have Zaino or whatever on there, it doesn`t mean bird crap won`t eat through your protection. If anything, I believe carnaubas are somewhat more resistant to the etching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, is there anything else I can do besides adding carnauba? Does anyone recommend a good carnauba?

Post Thanks / Like
    Definately looks like do-do juice cracked the paint from sitting on too long. Not fixable.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt that is bird etching ... My girlfriend has the same car (same year and same color) and has the same spots on the roof, and the roof only.... And if a bird bomb does land on the roof it gets wiped off very soon, which I believe is true with you as well, Mike.

All of the ones on there look like the ones in your first picture, not the second. We`ll have to keep an eye out and see if other Corolla`s have the same issues. I`ve been baffled what they were and why they got there ... it`s only on the roof too....

Post Thanks / Like
    budman3, i see none of these spots (first pic) any where else on the car except the roof just like you, they kinda look like rock impacts. In pic 2, that is the only cracking spot on the roof. I am trying to find ways to slow it down or stop it. If I see any bird crap, I clean it off as soon as possible. I guess I can top it with a carnauba.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think that they are rocks either ... kind of a random spot for rock chips...

I`ve done a little bit of research and found that Toyota used acid resistant paint ... so the bird droppings wouldn`t etch ... and under the base they use a thing called soft chip which`ll chip the paint and clear above the primer so a rock chip won`t go to bare metal ....

I`m thinking that this could be a result of a poor paint job / prep from the factory. Or the paint is extremely thin up there. If Toyota did have a problem with the painting process, it takes some time for the paint to `weather` and then the damage will show through... now trying to get the dealers / Toyota to take blame for the paint ... yeah right... Toyota is known to have very thin paint in recent years.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wifes camry has some that look exactly the same.. That way when we bought it.

I still say its some type of etching. Those, as well as the ones on my wifes car are too random to be a paint job defect IMO. Not to mention they`re shaped like a whole lot of bird dookie. Splatter and all.

Post Thanks / Like
    sal````er damage from international transit on a ship, perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    First pic looks like rock chips, sec pic looks more serious. I had an Acura Legend that started doing this and within 6 or so months, the spot became increasingly oxidized.

Thread Information