Post Thanks / Like
    I hate inconsiderate people ***!! :angry I come out of work to find my rear bumper damaged to which looks like a shopping cart cuz there are some grooves and it really carved into the bumper although it may possibly be some ******* driver too. Why cant people take the extra 30 secs to put their shopping carts back WHY!!!! its like 10 metres away from the entire parking lot.

//end rant

anyways onto the pics and just want to get some help on how to approach this problem like what products to use, steps and such. I searched a bit and found some vids but nothing tackles a problem this big, they are all just small scratchs. my car looks like it got attacked by a bear, anyways any help appreciated thanks

and you may notice I couldnt find my tri-pod so w/e

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll need to fill with Bondo, sand the Bondo, paint it, sand the paint, buff it. I would reccomend a professional body shop at this point - it`s going to be very challenging to fill that in acceptably, even with experience.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    You should be able to make the ones in the metal less noticeable, but the big gashes in the bumper are going to need a professional. Sorry, no quick fix on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    what is you dect. on you insurance?

it is prob. time to make a claim

Post Thanks / Like
    def not going through insurance, also there is no metal its all on plastic (the upper part is the rubstrip thats all) I wont be able to check out a professional until later this week cuz busy at school but if maybe I can at least do half the job so I wont be out so much money, I dunno I need some more ideas or if anyone else has been in a similar situation

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arawas
    def not going through insurance, also there is no metal its all on plastic (the upper part is the rubstrip thats all) I wont be able to check out a professional until later this week cuz busy at school but if maybe I can at least do half the job so I wont be out so much money, I dunno I need some more ideas or if anyone else has been in a similar situation

If it`s all plastic, there really isn`t anything you are going to do that will reduce the cost of fixing it. I, personally, would look into getting a whole new bumper, and not even try to fix this one, but that`s just me. Once it`s filled with bondo, it will just re-crack if it`s ever run into or *bumped* again.

If you really don`t want to put out any money, and definitely don`t want your insurance company involved, your only option is to polish and buff the area as much as possible, and just fill the rest in with touch up paint to make it less noticeable. I wouldn`t even attempt trying to "fill" the gashes, just get them black again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to say it but looks like a body shop job to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    New bumper time. Mine is on order (body kit actually). The rear bumper skirts are usually cheap. Getting them prepped, painted and fitted is what costs money. Like jdookie said get a new bumper.

If that happened to me i would go through my insurance. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    thing is im a college student so new bumper means $$$ I dont have, will see il post back here with what the body shop says once I get time at the end of the week to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can check local pick-n-pulls for your model/color car and try to find a replacement bumper. If you have any mechanical knowledge, bumpers really aren`t that hard to take off/change, at least on my car. You could also check with your car manufacturers local dealership parts department for a replacement that you put on yourself. $60/hr for labor is a hassle to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeh bumper takes me 5mins to take off, thats not a problem I am somehwhat mechanically inclined, I have worked on my engine quite a bit (turbo, exhaust, etc) by myself but when it comes to the "fragile detailing" stuff im not sure what to do I have a PC 7336 with off the shelf products like nxt.

Update: Shop told me only way to fix it properly is to strip it all, re-prime, paint, clear with a cost of $520 which seems like a bit much to me, or is this how much it would normally cost

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got a suggestion that I should try using Fusor since it holds up 100x better than bondo and its easy to work with even for a begginer. If you have experience with fusor lets hear it

Thread Information