Post Thanks / Like
    I had someone vandalize my jet black 08 535i with some sharp object and they left four deep scratches about four inches in length on the hood of my car. All the scratches were down past the primer I think because the scratches had outlinings of white.

Anyways, I had the scratches professionally fixed. I think they painted over them and did their magic. I was there for the whole process and at the end they used a PC or something that looked like a PC and used some sort of 3m product on the hood of my car after they fixed the scratches. I`ve never used any sort of machine on the car and heard of "burning the paint" on this website. I apologize for not wording it correctly still a noob that`s been bitten by the detail bug. So around the edges of the hood the jet black paint looks as if it`s turning white. There`s also a buncha white stuff that`s dried up in the cracks where the hood and the headlights meet. I discovered all this while I washing the car today. Some parts of the hood it looks as if bubbles formed under the paint and it popped. There`s tiny craters in that area.

Can this be fixed without going back to that same paint shop? I dunno wutda hell they did. Any suggestions? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated and THANK YOU in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    The white edges thing may not be good news, typical result of buffing too much paint off the edges (where the paint is thinnest)... The white stuff in the crevices are just residues and should wash off easily with a soft brush and shampoo, as long as they`re relatively fresh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DKimE3
    I had someone vandalize my jet black 08 535i with some sharp object and they left four deep scratches about four inches in length on the hood of my car. All the scratches were down past the primer I think because the scratches had outlinings of white.

Anyways, I had the scratches professionally fixed. I think they painted over them and did their magic. I was there for the whole process and at the end they used a PC or something that looked like a PC and used some sort of 3m product on the hood of my car after they fixed the scratches. I`ve never used any sort of machine on the car and heard of "burning the paint" on this website. I apologize for not wording it correctly still a noob that`s been bitten by the detail bug. So around the edges of the hood the jet black paint looks as if it`s turning white. There`s also a buncha white stuff that`s dried up in the cracks where the hood and the headlights meet. I discovered all this while I washing the car today. Some parts of the hood it looks as if bubbles formed under the paint and it popped. There`s tiny craters in that area.

Can this be fixed without going back to that same paint shop? I dunno wutda hell they did. Any suggestions? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated and THANK YOU in advance!

I detail new cars for BMW and fear jet black cars - they take massive amounts of time to get right and are very scratch sensitive. Typically the white hazing we see in the paint is due to certain types of polishes mainly a Last Step Product /wax/sealant (LSP). It shows up more predominantly over places where people have machine buffed underneath. For example. If you buffed half the hood by machine and the other half by hand and applied a LSP/sealant over you would notice more of a white hazing over the half prepped by mahcine. You will most definately need to invest in a PC, a buffing pad & a finishing pad.

We have a range of 3m products and i found that by using megiuars products it eliminated that problem. Best thing is to try a system that you are comfortable with. I would use #80 yellow buff pad with a rotary on 900 - 1200 rpm if needed and follow with #80 PC on speed 4 -5 yellow buff pad ( if your not comfortable with rotary then you can repeat this process 2 or 3 times) then #7 (or LSP of your choice) with finishing pad.

any pics you have might help also

Thread Information