Post Thanks / Like
    As the title says, what is the best way to clean, protect and wax a polycarbonate panel, which are becoming more commonly seen on our cars?

One of our cars is a smart forfour which normally is fitted with a Polycarbonate Panoramic roof, but ours has a glass Electric Sunroof fitted, this means that the section in front of and to the rear of the Glass section is fitted with a polycarbonate product called Makrolon. The following quote which tells you a bit about this material is from:

http://www.bayermaterialscience.com/internet/global_portal_cms.nsf/files/k2004/$file/BMS_Magazin_en.pdf

POLYCARBONATE GLAZING IN THE SMART FORFOUR:

At the IAA Motor Show in September 2003, the new ‘smart forfour’ was hailed as an intelligent option in the compact car segment, a car that set many new standards. It actually came on to the market in April 2004 and highlights another new application for Bayer Material Science’s Makrolon AG 2677 polycarbonate, namely the front section of the panorama roof. The transparent polycarbonate component, which adjoins the rear glass roof section, is about one square meter in size and was developed by freeglass GmbH & Co. KG of Stuttgart, Germany, in cooperation with Bayer MaterialScience and smart. “The main arguments for making the complete front sunroof module of polycarbonate were its high stone-chip resistance and, above all, its significant weight saving. The entire sub-assembly is about 6 kg lighter than a comparable component made of normal glass. As a result, the vehicle’s center of gravity is lower and the driving characteristics of the compact car are improved,†explained Dr.Martin DÃbler, a Bayer MaterialScience expert. A further weight saving comes from the rear fixed side windows which, as with earlier smart models, are also made of MakrolonÂ.
    I have been washing, polishing and waxing the whole of the roof using the same materials ( but not using any harsh form of abrasive polish/cleaner etc) as I do for the rest of the cars paintwork and "plastics" - but I have noticed that the “polycarbonate†sections degrade very quickly.

You can see several photos here which illustrate the issue:

Yes, I know the roof is dirty and what I did was to run a jug of water over the roof and then took the above photos.

Normally, after washing, polishing and waxing, if any water then goes on the car, the water beads very tightly, which shows that the wax is doing its job of protecting the paintwork.

I find that most waxes can last and protect the paintwork (still beading) for up to several months, although I do normally wax my cars about once a month, but the polycarbonate section will go "flat" after a few days and there will be no beading whatsoever, so it appears to me that any protection I have put on has disappeared - perhaps the polish and waxes are not bonding to the polycarbonate?

I have tried numerous methods - using polishes, sealants, then glazes and various waxes, but all have been unsuccessful. I was thinking of using Meguiars PlastX, but decided not to as this contains a small amount of abrasive which may in time degrade the scratch resistant surface of the polycarbonate.

Has anyone else noticed this and how do you clean, protect and wax any polycarbonate sections of a car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Motorcycle face shields and windscreens are polycarbonate, and all I ever use on them is Plexus.

Granted, Plexus probably won`t bead water for more than a couple of weeks, but at least its incredibly quick to apply and remove, you could have the roof done in a matter of minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Thanks for the quick response.

I just looked on the Plexus web-site and it states it’s suitable for all "plastics" and interestingly as well as containing polish it also contains wax.

This may well be the solution I am looking for - I will ask the company for clarification that it does not contain any form of abrasives and also whether after applying it if I can then layer further coats of wax on top of for more protection, i.e. use the Plexus as a base sealant and then wax as per normal.

But even if not, as you say it will only take a few minutes to clean the roof panels every few weeks.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plexus is a miracle in a bottle - I think you`ll love it. It might not last too long, but you could do the entire panel in 30 seconds after a wash and dry - just spray on and wipe lightly - no buffing necessary.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Thread Information