Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using ONR for about a month since I got it. It`s much more convenient, and I`ll be using ONR for the majority of my washes from now on. The only thing is that tires/wheelwells are hard to clean with ONR, but that`s not a major problem.

Anyway, here`s the thing: When I mix up my ONR solution in my "soap" bucket, the water is quite bluish. I use 1oz per 2 gallons. I have the newer formulation, which smells really good, and I think it`s slightly more viscous. I also use a rinse bucket filled about 2 gallons as well, with a grit guard. As I do multiple ONR solution->rinse->ONR solution and so on, I find that my ONR solution color becomes lighter and lighter. I`m wondering whether my 2 bucket method is diluting my ONR solution and possibly causing more marring. I can`t tell whether there`s more marring because I have some marring on the car paint already, and it`s hard to say for sure whether this is causing more.

Now I`ve heard of people like Scottwax using only 1 gallon ONR solution in a single bucket wash method. I`ve always wondered how it`s humanely possible to use 1 gallon/1 bucket and not cause marring. But now as I think of it, maybe it`s because the concentration of his ONR solution is the same, whereas with the 2 bucket, the ONR solution becomes more and more diluted as I continue rinsing between each panel. What do you guys think?

BTW, I use a micro-chenille mitt from Target. I generally try to squeeze out as much water as I can after rinsing, but the mitt is fairly absorbent..

Post Thanks / Like
    To answer your question you could be diluting it, but I don`t really understand your process. If your squeezing out any excess water after rinsing, before dipping into the solution, you shouldn`t be diluting it more than a quarter gallon or less I would think.

But as you outlined your process, as I understand it, your taking your 1) mit from the car, 2) into ONR bucket 1, 3) Rinse in bucket 2 (water), and 4) back into ONR bucket 1? Is this correct?

If thats what your doing, your contaminating your ONR solution, therefore negating the idea of the 2 bucket method.

Otherwise, if your doing it the regular 2 bucket method, to solve your problem just add 1 cap (1/2 ounce) of ONR to your other bucket and it will all even out.

HTH.

By the way, I usually use one bucket with 2.5 gallons and 2.5 caps of ONR in addition to a pre-sprayer at 2 oz/gal. No problems with marring, except if its any dirtier, i do a traditional wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my process isn`t exactly as you described. It`s just a regular 2 bucket method. ONR solution->do a panel->rinse out->squeeze out->ONR solution, and repeat.

I`m sure I could simply add more ONR to my solution, but I`m more curious as to whether I`m really diluting my solution and possibility creating marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I generally mix up 2gallons in one bucket and probably only use half of that. I would suspect that with a 2 bucket wash the onr bucket is becoming diluted. I`d assume once it is diluted below manufacturer recomendations then the risk of marring would increase and the cleaning ability would decrease. If I were to use a 2 bucket method, I`d just fill both with an ONR mix and there would be no dilution. If you are using it in a business, doing that would double your ONR cost and might be a problem. In that case you could filter the left over water in each bucket through a mf towel for use in the rinse bucket for next wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you`re a bit unweary about your ONR being diluted, I would just use a stronger mixture. You`ll get the peace of mind, plus your ONR should work a little better. I`m not familiar with your chenille wash mitt, but I can`t imagine it diluting your mixture all that much if you`re squeezing as much excess water out as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax I presume uses ONR the way he used QEW, which is per the (QEW) directions, which is for a single bucket. The properties of the rinseless wash (QEW at least) are supposed to sequester the dirt at the bottom of the bucket. I`m with NSXTASY, just add some ONR to your rinse bucket; this is a technique used by a lot of people for the two bucket method, regardless of rinseless or not, to add wash, QD, etc. to the rinse bucket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    I think if you`re a bit unweary about your ONR being diluted, I would just use a stronger mixture. You`ll get the peace of mind, plus your ONR should work a little better.
    I have yet to read any opinions of anyone who has used a stronger concentration of ONR than the standard 1 oz/2 gallons that it stripped LSPs or caused any other problems.

Using the higher concentration of ONR might not be as economical - but if it provides greater lubrication and/or cleaning ability without the risk of stripping my LSP, it`s well worth it.

I`ve been using the 2 bucket method with ONR. However, I`ve been using a slightly higher concentration of ONR (1.5 ozs. per 2 gallons) and I`ve also been pre-spraying each panel with a QD concentration of ONR from a spray bottle.

So far so good - no appreciable marring after several washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, adding ONR to the rinse bucket sounds like a plausible solution..

Anyway, today I mixed a 2 gallon/1 bucket ONR wash just to see whether it made any difference. The ONR solution definitely kept it`s blue color, but it obviously became contaminated with the dirt and other particles. It didn`t seem to cause any more marring, and the ONR solution certainly wasn`t diluted.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you dont already, try a pre-rinse from a sprayer, I use a 1 gallon or 2 gallon insecticide/fertilizer sprayer from lowes. I couldn`t imagine ONR`ing without that prerinse.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure the prerinse is really necessary though... I wash the every 2 weeks, and there`s not too much dirt to warrant a prerinse. Plus it would involve a lot of ONR, which, as Milestones, mentioned, may not be economical.

Thread Information