Thread: Tire Dressings

Post Thanks / Like
    What are your methods for applying tire dressing? I am no pro but I like to saturate my tires with a water based dressing then come back after a while

and wipe down the excess before I call the job complete. Would you guys say this is only wasting product? Also what kind of applicators

would you say hold up the best (foam, fabric, air pump, or wax applicators).I dont like that shiny greasy look I`m more into a matte finish.

I`m at the point with my personal vehicle that my tires have soaked up all the dressing they can handle and they are very black and dry

to the touch when I run my fingers accross them, no browning just the look i`m going for. I dress them once a week.

I`m just curious on your guys` habits on this aspect of detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    do a search with "tire dressing" and you will get about 2 days worth of reading. you`ll get more info than you ever wanted to know on the subject and then some.

Post Thanks / Like
    I apply/reapply water-based tire dressings the same way as yourself :waxing:

The only product that ever browned my tires was Mother`s FX Tire Shine..

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here, I use Megs Hyperdressing, let soak in and then towel off excess. I used to experience tire browning with ArmorAll.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino z-16 with a terrycloth applicatior twice. Smoothing/removing excess with an old microfiber if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I apply all dressings (water based, gels, etc.) with a foam applicator. Apply a thin line to the foam and then work the foam around the entire sidewall. If the dressing is uneven I continue to rub the foam around the tire until it`s all even.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best product or method to prevent the tire dressing from splattering all over the car when you drive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billyharless
    What is the best product or method to prevent the tire dressing from splattering all over the car when you drive?

Don`t put it on too heavy, and if you do go back after it has soaked in for 20 minutes and wipe off the excess residue with a towel.

Also, some dressings are more prone to sling than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    i spray tire foam in the middle of the tire (also in the wells), and then wait around 10 minutes and go back and spread it evenly with a tire swipe. works great...

p.s. i use a piece of cardboard contoured to the tire, so i don`t get overspray onto the car...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smprince1
    Don`t put it on too heavy, and if you do go back after it has soaked in for 20 minutes and wipe off the excess residue with a towel.

Also, some dressings are more prone to sling than others.

I have tried many products and tried applying thin coats, wiped the excess and I always seem to find some slings on my car the next day and maybe even two days later. Maybe it is just my black car that shows the sling more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a gel man and use waffle foam packaging.

No sling, great durability
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billyharless
    I have tried many products and tried applying thin coats, wiped the excess and I always seem to find some slings on my car the next day and maybe even two days later. Maybe it is just my black car that shows the sling more.

Make sure you wipe carefully in all the lettering, grooves, etc. where the dressing can pool. If I wipe the excess I don`t get any sling.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use some cheap E1 foam tire swipes I got at the local C-tire. Seem to work not bad for the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just use the Eagle One tire swipes too. I`m sure there`s a better tire dressing applicator out there, but the E1 are cheap and easy to find at your local AutoZone so I`ve stuck with them for awhile. I spray or put gel onto the applicator then I wipe. The only time I spray directly onto the tire is if I have a aerosol foam type tire product. The downside to the E1 tire swipes is that my fingers get so grimey and nasty from excess product seeping through the sponge and onto where you hold the tire swipe.

I`ve used plenty of different tire dressings and I never seem to get sling when I use the tire swipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a worn out old wheel brush (green sometimes orange flogged tips tip about $3). Worn out ones with broken flogs work best or you can snip off the tips. A spray on the bottom of tire where it contacts the pavement then a few sprays on the brush. Wipe the tire with the brush. Take a few seconds and is easy on all types of tires. Generally the only time I wash the brush is if I switch dressings. One brush should last you a lifetime of personal use or 1000`s of cars commercially. You can put it on very thin or as thick as you like. If you get any on the wheel just wipe it off with a towel.

Thread Information