Post Thanks / Like
    A few weeks ago I did my first detail with the PC using Meg`s #83 (LC orange) with 2 passes, then KAIO (LC white), then SG by hand (only cured for a few hours due to time constraints), then topped with P21S. This is on a 2001 VW GTI in Matchstick Red and I understand these clear coats are hard. The results are obviously much better than before since this being a DD (and my only car) it was hardly washed and waxed in the 6.5 years I`ve owned it. However, there are still some scratches visible under halogen that I couldn`t remove and I figured I`ll do another complete pass at this in another few weeks when the wax has worn off.

That said, I finally got to order the polish I wanted in the first place (SIP) and decided I might want to try Zaino with ZFX for the curing time. I`m generally more interested in durability than looks because quite frankly, I probably won`t be able to tell much of a difference with my lack of experience in these matters.

Sorry for the long intro - here`s the question: I`ve learned through searching this forum that some have no problems using KAIO as a base for Z-5 / 2. I didn`t order ZAIO simply because I wanted to be able to use up my hardly-used bottle of KAIO. I did however order Z-PC just to try some day. Do I really need to use it as a base for Z-5 / 2 or can I just use KAIO? I was thinking my next attempt will go like:

Menzerna SIP (LC orange?)

Menzerna NP (LC white)

KAIO (LC white)

Z-5 PRO (x2)

Z-2 PRO (x2)

Z-8 or P21S

I guess if you guys say Z-PC is absolutely recommended, I could either insert it after the Nano Polish or replace one of my steps. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    The process you listed above will work just fine. I,m not sure about the P21S though. I have used this over Zaino but only notice a decrease in clarity but it may give you the "warm and fuzzy" appearance many desire. :nixweiss

You already have some wonderful polishes (Menzerna) that work well with Zaino. I see no need for you to acquire any Z-PC.

I do recommend that when your KAIO runs out or you sell it on a-bay, that you try some ZAIO. ZAIO is quite a great and easy to use ALL-IN-ONE and excellent base for the Z sealant line-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would skip the KAIO, no need for that after a proper prepp with Menzerna.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by porta
    I would skip the KAIO, no need for that after a proper prepp with Menzerna.

So just finishing with Menzerna NP will produce an LSP-ready base? If so, I`ll probably go that route since I`m apparently slow at this (my first detail took 24 man hours from wash to clay to wax) and the less work on the paint I can get away with, the better. The only polish I`ve used so far is #83 and I had to make two passes with it to get most of the scratches out. Is SIP going to cut that much better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doc-rice
    So just finishing with Menzerna NP will produce an LSP-ready base? If so, I`ll probably go that route since I`m apparently slow at this (my first detail took 24 man hours from wash to clay to wax) and the less work on the paint I can get away with, the better. The only polish I`ve used so far is #83 and I had to make two passes with it to get most of the scratches out. Is SIP going to cut that much better?

I`d skip the KAIO, P21S and the Z5 steps. Z5 under Z2 did nothing "extra" to the finish *for me*.

Better to take your time when polishing (if you have that luxury), the results will be much better. SIP was very easy to use for me, but I was using a rotary to polish, so YMMV if your using a PC. Good luck and don`t forget to post pictures!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    make sure you use ZFX with the Z2pro

Thread Information