Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Wow, you guys are artists the way you turn around the cars you detail.

I am going to detail my wife`s 2001 Accord and I have a couple of questions.

I use Eagle One Wheel cleaner and it works really well, however the wheels get really dirty again within a month. Can I use a basic wax, like Meguiar`s on the factory allow wheels to keep them easy to clean. Also, can I use Magic Eraser on the leather seats to remove scuffs?

One last question, what do you recommend for interior plastics, like the map pockets and door sills? I would like to purchase OTC items today or tomorrow to get started.

Thanks in advance! I am off to the Click`nBrag forum to drool over the Ferraris.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use a wax on your wheels, however I guess the real question is how often is the vehicle being washed? Usually if you clean them really good, wax them..the next time you can just use soap and water, but again if the dirt is sitting on the wheels for a month it probably will need agitation and wheel cleaner.

Some people around here use the Mr. Clean Magic eraser on leather and plastics but I myself have not. I would suggest getting some Duragloss leather cleaner and conditioner. You can usually find this locally at CarQuest or Napa too I believe. You could also use these products then on your interior plastics.

If you can`t find the Duragloss I would suggest the Mothers Leather cleaner and conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia!

If you want OTC items in one stop you can`t go wrong with Duragloss. I use their shampoo, leather cleaner, conditioner, spray wax, and sealant over many "boutique" products. I do use a lot of the boutique products as well. DG can be bought at CarQuest stores.

If you are planning on using your wheels cleaner you should not use a wax. Most wheel cleaners are caustic and will remove your wax/sealant protection on the wheel, so you will have to reapply after every wash.

In your position I would use a wheel cleaner once, clean the wheels thoroughly, use a sealant for the wheels, and re-wash the car weekly or biweekly. When you wash the wheels again all you will need is a microfiber and soap. Your wheels will get dirty regardless, but it`s a lot easier to wash if they are sealed. You might need to reapply the wheel sealant every month or two. Stick to something easy to apply and remove, like Optimum Optiseal (bought online).

Another option is to change your brake pads to ceramic ones. A LOT less dust.

Regarding leather and magic eraser... I don`t like using non leather-specific products. I would stick to a dedicated cleaner, a leather scrub brush (Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush) or microfiber, and a conditioner. I really like the DG cleaner and conditioner.
    May I interest you in my Brazilian wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice. One more question if I may, If I do a really thorough two bucket wash, can I use a cleaner wax, like Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax on the lightly swirled paint? Without claying first?

I am not ready for the PC yet, just want to improve the appearance, not a full correction. Is this product light enough in abrasives that I won`t do any damage? While I am it, can I use this on the factory alloy wheels that have light scratches? Thanks in advance, as always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LookingforLexus
    Thanks for the advice. One more question if I may, If I do a really thorough two bucket wash, can I use a cleaner wax, like Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax on the lightly swirled paint? Without claying first?

I am not ready for the PC yet, just want to improve the appearance, not a full correction. Is this product light enough in abrasives that I won`t do any damage? While I am it, can I use this on the factory alloy wheels that have light scratches? Thanks in advance, as always.

I would still clay after the wash, then use the cleaner wax, but that is me...

Cleaner waxes are usually a chemical cleaner, thus no abrasives to worry about. I am sure you can use it on factory alloys, I use Klasse All In One on my Pontiac alloys before I seal them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LookingforLexus
    ..can I use a cleaner wax, like Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax on the lightly swirled paint? Without claying first?

Welcome to Autopia!

People did OK long before clay came out. It`s a good idea but it`s not mandatory.

Working by hand, you`re not gonna remove enough clear to worry about, not *EVER*.

For by-hand use, IMO the only game in town is the line of polishes from 1Z. You could use them on the scratched wheels too (most wheels are clearcoated). No way to exaggerate how user-friendly and effective the 1Z stuff is..maybe even easier than most cleaner waxes. Oughta come with a money back satisfaction guarantee; they`d never give back a penny.

Top the 1Z polish with Collinite wax and you`ll never even *think* of using an OTC cleaner wax again. Really

Source: Welcome to Exceldetail.com! or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories .

Thread Information