Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll be detailing my 2 month old car, so I`d like to get everyone`s opinions on what the best exterior paint strategy is. I definitely want lasting protection (4 months or so) and I`d like the paint to look deep, warm and of course wet. Post up your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    It maybe easier for you to look at C&B threads and use the combo of the car that you think is closest to what you are looking for. Look for Gen2`s posts. Doesn`t get much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    A light clay job, may not be out of the question. Purely dependant upon exposure to environmental circumstances though.

If your content with the paints brightness and lack of swirls or wash/dry induced spiderwebbing, then all you would really need would be a paint cleanser to clean the paints surface. This would remove any very light environmental contamination. Theres really no need to exfoliate (polish) the paint at this point, if its not necessary, but its a judgement call that rest solely on your shoulders.

Next up would be a good protectant. Most sealants will outlive natural carnauba waxes. And they have really become quite popular and are engineered very well these days. Even OTC Polymer protectants are decnt, although not anywehere near what a boutique brand could offer. The 4 month criteria your looking for for durability may be a little hard to reach, if you consider your slickness as its "meter" of character.

Also using wash soaps and wash media i.e. sheepskin washmitts, that are very gentle to the surface and sealant, will help minimize premature degredation.

One last thing to consider is using what I like to call a "conditioner" which is a product you can use after a wash, that really adds an affordable, gentle layer of protection. You simply spray it on during the drying process or immediately after the surface is dried. Some spray products have a little Polymer or slickness protection or Carnauba protection. This is what I would be looking for.

Hope its helped a little!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    A light clay job, may not be out of the question. Purely dependant upon exposure to environmental circumstances though.

If your content with the paints brightness and lack of swirls or wash/dry induced spiderwebbing, then all you would really need would be a paint cleanser to clean the paints surface. This would remove any very light environmental contamination. Theres really no need to exfoliate (polish) the paint at this point, if its not necessary, but its a judgement call that rest solely on your shoulders.

Next up would be a good protectant. Most sealants will outlive natural carnauba waxes. And they have really become quite popular and are engineered very well these days. Even OTC Polymer protectants are decnt, although not anywehere near what a boutique brand could offer. The 4 month criteria your looking for for durability may be a little hard to reach, if you consider your slickness as its "meter" of character.

Also using wash soaps and wash media i.e. sheepskin washmitts, that are very gentle to the surface and sealant, will help minimize premature degredation.

One last thing to consider is using what I like to call a "conditioner" which is a product you can use after a wash, that really adds an affordable, gentle layer of protection. You simply spray it on during the drying process or immediately after the surface is dried. Some spray products have a little Polymer or slickness protection or Carnauba protection. This is what I would be looking for.

Hope its helped a little!
    Great information, thanks! You have me second guessing using clay. I bought mothers clay, and I figure it can`t hurt to use it. I keep hearing how important proper prep work is, and clay seems to be a big part of that no matter how new the paint is. Here`s the process I`ll be doing:

Wash

Clay

Wash

Klasse AIO w/ PC polishing pad

4*UPP Sealant

P21S Carnauba on top

Anything else?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to use Aquawax made by Duragloss to spray on my truck after I wash it. It helps put a good shine on it, and it`s pretty durable. Spray on, wipe off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just use plenty of the "Showtime" that comes in that Mothers kit, while claying. Then, as mentioned above, find yourself a spray protectant/enhancer you can use after washes. It really tends to make a nice difference, both apearance wise, and in durability.

Other then that, nice layout of products! Great cleaner, even better protectant, and nice topper!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz5219
    Here`s the process I`ll be doing:

Wash

Clay

Wash

Klasse AIO w/ PC polishing pad

4*UPP Sealant

P21S Carnauba on top

Anything else?

I wouldn`t assume that you need to top the UPP with a wax. I use UPP all by itself on my S8 and I sure wouldn`t put P21S (or any other wax) over it; the UPP looks great by itself and is *very* slick, which helps reduce wash-induced marring. And if you don`t top it, you can just add more later (or use their spray sealant or even just their UGE QD) to keep the slickness going.

I found P21S to be a rather "bright" wax anyhow, not something that`d make for a drastic improvement over UPP lMO. Other waxes with different appearance characteristics might make more sense, but I wouldn`t mess up my UPP (ooh, that`s a greast way to express it ) with those either.

Thread Information