Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been reading a lot of posts here for about a month, and I just bought some products to begin on my detailing collection:

Meguiars Gold car wash

Mother`s Clay bar

Meguiar`s ScratchX

Blackfire Gloss enhancing Polish

FK1 Synthetic Paste Wax

Optimum Opti-Seal

and a chamois, a ton of microfiber cloths and applicatior pads

I don`t have the budget right now for a machine polisher, so I`m limited by elbow grease for now.

I have two metallic black cars that are in desparate need of some exterior care. My questions are, is it possible to get rid of all the swirl marks using the polishes by hand, or is that something that would be better served using a machine? Is one coat of wax sufficient, or do multiple coats offer more protection? Also, for my car, I was going to wax with the synthetic wax and then seal with opti-seal. How long should I wait for the wax to cure before sealing, or should I seal first and then wax over that?

This place seems to be a wealth of knowledge, thanks for enlightening me to the detailing process.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia! If you can get a forum member in your area to help out by using a PC, UDM or a rotary it will come out better and easy on your elbow. The products you have should work out, but by hand it`s harder to remove swirls on black paint. First wash your car then clay bar it and then use the Blackfire polish, if you don`t see any more swirls then use the opti-seal and wait about 24-48hrs to put the wax on. Also if i was you forget the chamois, just use your MF`s only. If you want just try on one area of your ride (fender)and see how it looks to you. Have fun and if you can post some pic`s later on. Also go to the guide to detailing and read up.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    *My questions are, is it possible to get rid of all the swirl marks using the polishes by hand, or is that something that would be better served using a machine?

Machine... you could try getting rid of the WORST spots by hand by no further then that. Swirl removal on an ENTIRE vehicle by hand is quite a struggle. The oils in your wax will help fill in some of the swirls... a filler glaze could also assist in this.

*Is one coat of wax sufficient, or do multiple coats offer more protection?

If protection is of great concern, I would recommend using a sealant first as waxes dissipate quickly. However, while they last, they offer great water repulsion (a la neighbors sprinklers). I think your going to get more looks then protection out of multiple coats.

*Also, for my car, I was going to wax with the synthetic wax and then seal with opti-seal. How long should I wait for the wax to cure before sealing, or should I seal first and then wax over that?

I`m not all that familiar with opt-seal, but instinctively I`d assume using it first would be best (granted it has durability of similar products such as ZCS). At the same time, you want to make sure the oils in your wax don`t work against the poli seal.

Thread Information