Thread: Steam Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like
    So my GF just bought a steam cleaner from the HSN and i`d love to try and use it on my car...my question is what are some good and safe uses for this steam cleaner? Wheels? Paint? Carpets? engine detail? I like the idea of using steam as opposed to harsh chemicals but i`d wanna make sure i`m not gonna mess something up...thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Any of those is fine, just don`t keep the stream too close to the surface. Ah, don`t use it on leather from too close either. I don`t use it on leather at all.

I use it mostly for interior work on "sticky" places. I steam it and follow with a microfiber towel. I used it this past weekend on a VW New Beetle to remove a little grease from the door sills and it worked just fine.
    May I interest you in my Brazilian wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone ever use it on wheels? I feel like using it along with some wheel cleaner might work awesome...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rezbmr
    anyone ever use it on wheels? I feel like using it along with some wheel cleaner might work awesome...

Yeah, I`ve done that, but I dunno if it really worked any better than just regular wheel cleaners :nixweiss I have had some great success using it on brake calipers though and I guess the applications aren`t all that different.

I`m currently using it on the MPV`s interior. Steamers are really great for that, but you gotta give some thought to where the stuff you "steam away" goes; e.g., some people use the steamer to blast the A/C ducts clean, but I don`t do that because I figure it just blows the [stuff] deeper into the ductwork.

Great under the hood too, where the steam`s heat helps emulsify the kind of grime you have to deal with there.

Be a little careful about steaming plastics lest you melt them (gee, ask how I know ) and I`d wear rubber gloves to avoid the steam burns that I often suffer.

Thread Information