Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a bit of a weird question, but usually you guys mention that you clean the interior with a wipedown with an APC (Meguiars, Simple Green, whatever). How effective is that wipedown? Other than getting rid of dust, I usually find that wipedown doesn`t really do much to clean off any light stains on vinyl and such.

Am I missing something? Or are wipedowns only done to remove dust and particulate matter?

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to steam as much of the trim as I can and avoid chemicals. If I`m cleaning the interior with chemicals then I will use something mild such as a woolite mix or a very diluted APC. I use Meguiars Leather Cleaner and Conditioner often on interior trim if it`s not in bad shape. Certain things like scuffs I might use a magic eraser.

If I`m doing a wipe down to remove dust or particulate matter I just use a damp cloth. On a wash package I mention that it includes "wipe down, not clean the interior". I only use a chemical if my intention is to clean anything on the interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a vehicle that is kept maintained and free of kids and dogs, interior wipedowns are pretty effective, imo. It may be that a damp microfiber almost seems to have cutting power because that`s all I ever use to get rid of dust, fingerprints, residue, etc.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    When I think of interior wipedown, I just think of a damp cloth or mf towel used to remove dust.

When I clean and dress the interior, I use Meg`s APC+ diluted 10:1 and wipe/clean everything with a mf towel. This helps with the sticky stuff you find from spills, etc. I also like to start from a clean base, instead of applying on top of old dressing.

I have used my steamer too and that works well, I just can`t find my attachments so it`s useless now

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually use Meg`s Interior detailer (the "quik" one).

I find its actually surprising effective on dirt. By dirt I mean the normal "gunk" and dirt that builds up over time on commonly touched surfaces, such as the steering wheel, or shift knob on a manual car (even automatics, but needless to say, it builds up much faster in manual cars).

The only thing is, you have to use some pressure on the MF you`re wiping with. Use some strong pressure and it lifts the dirt right off.

I can`t say I`ve had any spills or major stains on the interior as of yet (luckily), but I have had to get rip of soap residue once, thanks to the less-than-satisfactory tinter I went to. Looks like the soap sort of left "stains" in some spots - looked like running water spots that dried there. I had to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and some Meg`s APC to really put a dent in it.

I don`t think I ever got it 100% out... maybe 95%. It sort of disappeared though after I put on my protectant, 303. I`m sure its still there, especially since I last applied 303 many months ago and I`m sure its long worn off by now... but again, its not really noticeable so I don`t think I could find it and point it out even if I wanted to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    This is a bit of a weird question, but usually you guys mention that you clean the interior with a wipedown with an APC (Meguiars, Simple Green, whatever). How effective is that wipedown? Other than getting rid of dust, I usually find that wipedown doesn`t really do much to clean off any light stains on vinyl and such.

Am I missing something? Or are wipedowns only done to remove dust and particulate matter?

I was thinking of the same thing the other day. I usually vacuum and the dress the interior (dash, console, door panels) with a cleaner/conditioner, like Meguiar`s #40. Then buff out with a MF for a matte look.

Alex
    Check Out my site! Mandarina Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34
    I can`t say I`ve had any spills or major stains on the interior as of yet (luckily), but I have had to get rip of soap residue once, thanks to the less-than-satisfactory tinter I went to. Looks like the soap sort of left "stains" in some spots - looked like running water spots that dried there. I had to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and some Meg`s APC to really put a dent in it.

I don`t think I ever got it 100% out... maybe 95%. It sort of disappeared though after I put on my protectant, 303. I`m sure its still there, especially since I last applied 303 many months ago and I`m sure its long worn off by now... but again, its not really noticeable so I don`t think I could find it and point it out even if I wanted to.

I just had my windows tinted and they made a huge mess of the interior and exterior. Actually the drips on the exterior are still stuck there because they got sun baked, but I`ll be polishing them out soon. Anyway I`m still looking for a good product to actually clean the stuff off of the interior vinyl. I started trying to clean it with 303 but it wasn`t taking it off so I stopped, any suggestions? I havn`t heard of Mr. CLean Magic Eraser or Meg`s APC around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, 303 isn`t really a cleaner, so that`s why it wasn`t coming off. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and Meg`s APC are both fine choices. You can also try Woolite+water, and any other kind of APC. Those should all work fairly well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used megs APC+ for the first time ever on the inside of my Jeep and my MF was dirty by the time I did the entire interior. Amazed me what came off a fairly clean looking interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLibby04
    I used megs APC+ for the first time ever on the inside of my Jeep and my MF was dirty by the time I did the entire interior. Amazed me what came off a fairly clean looking interior.

What dilution did you use? How does it smell? My quess is Meg`s Interior Detailer is another formula based on an APC.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    What dilution did you use? How does it smell? My quess is Meg`s Interior Detailer is another formula based on an APC.

For interiors, I use the product as suggested at 10:1. It has an orange-citrus scent. It`s not something you would use all the time once your interior is dressed. Meg`s Interior QD on the other hand really wasn`t meant to do heavy-duty cleaning. It`s for touching up and helping with the dust. It has a eucalyptus scent to it.

Some people seem to love Meg`s Quik Interior Detailer, but IMO it`s overhyped and not a necessary product. Water + mf towel works about as well as this product, you just won`t have the scent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Omikron OC 120 foaming APC is what I use on interiors that are stained from body oil, sweat, food etc

The door trims get a good scrubbing with a microfibre pad and it does a great job with door jambs as well.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky

Meg`s APC actually smells a lot like the generic "soap" smell. But its not a big deal... doesn`t really linger if you`re not doing the fabric. Even if you are, it`s not a big deal, because its not a particularly unpleasant scent, just a little bit generic. THe pleasant sort of generic-ness.

The smell goes away quickly, however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    For interiors, I use the product as suggested at 10:1. It has an orange-citrus scent. It`s not something you would use all the time once your interior is dressed. Meg`s Interior QD on the other hand really wasn`t meant to do heavy-duty cleaning. It`s for touching up and helping with the dust. It has a eucalyptus scent to it.

Some people seem to love Meg`s Quik Interior Detailer, but IMO it`s overhyped and not a necessary product. Water + mf towel works about as well as this product, you just won`t have the scent.

I think it is better than water but I but good for light cleaning applications only. I keep reading you want something with nonionic surfactants since it does not attract dust back after you clean. I have no idea of Megs QD. APC, or Woolite meet that requirement.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the definition of a wipe down. My wash and vacuums include a "wipe down" of all vinyl, plastic, and leather surfaces. Depending on the product I use for the wipe down, I can remove a lot of grime. If the interior is just dusty and has very light soiling, I use a neutral non-ionic surfactant based product that also neutralizes odors. For heavier soiling, I use an alkaline colloidal cleaner. If I am doing a full detail or full interior detail, I simply spend more time on problem areas and cracks and crevices. In short wipe downs with the proper cleaner can be very effective.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information