Post Thanks / Like
    What are some ways to get rid of the insects that accumulate in the third brake light well areas? The 3rd brake light well is actually part of the deck lid common on VW Passats and Jettas.

I don`t have a compressor or leaf blower (yet), would either of those work -- other than actually removing the deck lid itself? A leaf blower might be overkill LOL. I don`t really have a need for those things yet, but I guess I could justify a purchase if it did the job

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m interested in this as well!!! I was advised to remove the deck lid but I am hesitant to do this to peoples vehicles. Along with bugs, there also seems to be dust and haze in tihs area as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Without taking something apart here are some suggestions. On some of the third lights you can get the paddle type window cleaners between the light and the glass. If you can`t then blowing it out would be my next suggestion. If you have a shop vacuum on many you can hook a hose to the exhaust to use as a blower. Sometime you can suck the bugs out by covering the opening with a towel leaving room for your crevice tool. It the bug is stuck you can knock it loose with a pipe cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could maybe a corner of a MF towel onto the tip of a toothpick or something. Other than not taking the third light off.

Post Thanks / Like
    hah. My brand new 2007 VW GTI has a wasp corpse wedged deeply in the gap around the rear drivers side window. None of my brushes were able to pick it out so tomorrow i`m gonna grab a pair of tweezers and try it.

In fact, doing my first detail of it today after picking up the car yesterday, I found atleast 5 spiders, 4 of which were dead, 2 wasps and some other unidentifiable bugs. Tons of cobwebs in the wheel wells too. I guess VW`s attract a lot of bugs.
    Kris

Orlando, Florida (UCF Area)

Post Thanks / Like
    How about using a can of compressed air, the ones you find at office supply and computer stores. People use it to clean/blow dust from computer equipments. Some even come with a thin tube (like what you get with WD40) which should let you get into some tight places.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m interested in this too. My son`s 04 Jetta has a collection of bugs and hair (he usually drives with his window down and his hair blows around) in the third brake light housing and I haven`t been able to get any of it out yet.

Thread Information