Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny, just as I was typing, I had a customer call me with a new 3 series with problem soft paint. He said a qd is smearing and marring the paint.:nervous2: I will be doing that Saturday doing a full correction and I will post up that job.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    Polishing isn`t an exact science. You have to experiement to see what works best with what you are dealing with. ...
    Yes, I agree. Please notice I wasn`t looking for solution. I was looking on recommandation of polishes and pads that I should get to experiment with. You can not experiment with something suitable for soft paints when you do not have polishes that would be suitable for soft paints, you need to get them first.

Which ones would be good fit for such purpose in your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Yeah, I`ve heard that and it might be a real PIA for people with just a PC. It doesn`t seem to be a problem with the Cyclo, at least with the products I`ve used.
    I wasn`t getting hooks, it was more like small line here and small line there. Funny thing is I switched from PC (well, UDM) to Cyclo with white Cyclo pads and results were bit better but still no complete success.

Post Thanks / Like
    My `05 Subaru Legacy GT had the softest paint I`ve ever worked on. Poorboy`s SSR2 followed with SSR1 on a blue Edge 2000 pad always did the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    This might not be a popular view here, but I like something with some filling for super-soft clears. Why spend an extra hour or two polishing with an oil-less polish when the marring is going to be re-introduced before the fillers even get a chance to wear off?

I quite like 1Z MP for soft paints, VM does a pretty good job too, as does M66. Meguiar`s #66 is actually a real gem for super soft paints - it`s saved me pretty good before. Make sure to use it with a DA on the soft ones - it`ll fill enough to hide its own holograms if you use a rotary.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisH
    My black 39 Ford has soft soft paint I use RMG. If I need a little more cut I will mix VM and RMG or maybe YM and VM. I also use my PC and Blue or Black pad. I also can use 85rd on white or blue and reduce the amount of pressure to just the weight of the machine for the final passes.
    Thank you! Those were my thoughts too. I am already putting order together for "softer than white" pads. I know where to get them in 5".

Does anybody know where to get "softer than white" in 4"?

I do have 85RD and RMG so I can give that a shot. I will try to get 1Z MP Pro. However, I would like to see more entries on the list of polishes that would fit the task.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    I wasn`t getting hooks, it was more like small line here and small line there. Funny thing is I switched from PC (well, UDM) to Cyclo with white Cyclo pads and results were bit better but still no complete success.

Hmm...wonder how 4" blue pads would work :think:

Those random marring lines make me wonder about the product being lumpy/etc.

themightytimmah- Yeah, those three products you mentioned are very good for this sort of thing.

And that`s a good point about always correcting soft paint instead of using the dreaded (by some ) fillers. The Jag`s lacquer was nice and soft...easy to correct...so easy that after >25 years I`ve polished it to death and can`t do any more correction. Those soft paints are gonna wear with continual polishing.

You gotta try the 1Z WaxPolishSoft sometime, I`d like to hear what you think of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...wonder how 4" blue pads would work :think:
    Me too, that is why I asked. I know AG carries them in 4" blue and gray CCS. CMA has them in 4" red CCS. Excel Detail has ExcelErasure 4" blue but I don`t know where that stacks up on "aggresiveness" scale.

Anybody else that carries 4" in gray/blue/red?

Those random marring lines make me wonder about the product being lumpy/etc.
    Me too (am I becoming "me too" head?). What would be causing it though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thought: Would I have had better results if I have used 6.5" thicker pads instead of 5" low profile ones?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    Another thought: Would I have had better results if I have used 6.5" thicker pads instead of 5" low profile ones?

I have a Black Lexus 06 SC430 that is stupid soft. I finish with the rotary and either Menzerna FPII or Micro Polish and a LC black (or grey) pad at 600-1200-600 RPM. I use the old LC pads with the rounded edges, not the sharp-edged CCS pads. Maybe I`m crazy, but I feel like the sharp edges on the CCS pads instill light swirls that show up as holograms.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used KAIO on a finish pad with my PC with success on my Acura ss paint. It is enough to remove wash induced swirls. It does not leave it perfect, but it`s the best compromise.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCoupe
    Maybe I`m crazy, but I feel like the sharp edges on the CCS pads instill light swirls that show up as holograms.

No such happenings in my experience. The edges actually lift a bit when pressure is applied.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCoupe
    Maybe I`m crazy, but I feel like the sharp edges on the CCS pads instill light swirls that show up as holograms.
    I will not call you crazy as I was wondering the same thing and even asked SpoiledMan could that be contributor (or one of contributors) to the problem. And it is not just edge that I was wondering about but even more intersection of edge and "pocket" that results in "saw tooth" looking edge.

I was also wondering whether dimple inside pocket might be causing it and was also wondering whether pocket is grabbing and holding some dried polish causing micromarring.

These are questions I would like to see definite answers on for obvious reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    The edges actually lift a bit when pressure is applied.
    I don`t see how they can lift and not contact paint. Even if they are what about "tooth" where edge cuts through the pocket?

Post Thanks / Like
    *ANY* pad with dried polish will cause marring. *I* have had no experience with dried polish in the pockets of CCS pads at all. Based on my experience I`d have to say that you`re having "process" issues. Too much product maybe? Not working it properly?

Z, the backing plate being smaller than the pad will cause the pad to "mushroom" slightly and the edges will have much less pressure applied and in many cases (depending on BP size) not even be in contact with the paint.
    Triple Honda Owner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information