Post Thanks / Like
    So a lady leaves me a message today saying she wants a detail. Turns out she left her sunroof open on her honda civic for three days and all the rain got into her car. She said the fabric has changed colors, its completely soaked inside and she wants me to make it all better :nixweiss

Ive never encountered this before so I have not yet agreed to the job or a price. Do any of you guys have experience with this type of situation? If so how would you go about restoring her interior??

As far as vacs go, all I have is a 5hp shopvac, will that do the trick? If not I can go out and get an LGM if she agrees to a price.

Let me know, any suggestions are welcome!

Jim
    2004 Dodge Dakota SXT

Currently Wearing: Scottwax`s Famous Pink Moose, JW AJT, JW AG

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil (What a difference!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have direct experience with water damage in cars, however, I have taken all the seats out of my previous civics at one time or another. That being said, if you are slightly mechincallly inclined, pop the seats out and go from there with a vac, air movers/fans, baking soda, odor/mildew chemical, etc. I would figure out your hours and go by that.

I would also use a heater of some kind after you get the majority of the water extracted.

Additonally, if you pop the side sill moldings off by the doors you can peel up the carpeting and stick a fan under or put your shop vac on blow.

If its interior only, I would think no more than 10 hours depending on how dry you get it.

Thats all I got, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Id get in touch with TexasTB on AG, hes done work like this before. Heres one example, Autogeekonline Car Detailing Forum - Long Day... 15+ hrs. And another, Autogeekonline Car Detailing Forum - Porsche,Hummer, Dually, P/U, flood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I dont think I`m prepared for this type of thing yet, I cant rip out carpets, clean floor pans, install new carpet, I just cant do that type of thing. TexasTB is freaking AWESOME! Thanks for those links Dan.

I guess it looks like I will have to pass on this one, Ill give her a call and let her know the extent of damage that there probably is, maybe I can help her find someone that will take on a job like this.

Oh well, thanks guys!

Jim
    2004 Dodge Dakota SXT

Currently Wearing: Scottwax`s Famous Pink Moose, JW AJT, JW AG

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil (What a difference!)

Post Thanks / Like
    First off i would tell her to get an insurance claim. At least that`s the way it works up here. Then if she has problems down the road it is on file.

If she is willing to pay the price, then go for it. You have to learn somewhere. I have done a few total interiors from floods and mice. Given the paid time to do, it isn`t that hard. Carpet actually comes out fairly easy. A couple of pointers, depending on condition of seat bolts, WD40 them first, i`ve had a few break. Also don`t over tighten screws on plastic parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the interior is damaged (changing colors) she needs to make an insurance claim. They`ll pay to remove the complete interior out of her car clean it and then replace any part that is damaged. If ANY water went under the carpet assembly it needs to come out. There`s a very tiny chance that the carpet can be saved but by taking it out you`ll eliminate the chance for possible electical damage.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information