Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not talking about desk lights... I want those heavy duty 1000W halogen lights that people use in the garage when detailing cars....

I bought this from Sears...

Craftsman WL500DPT-S 1000 watt Tripod Light with Portable Stand at Sears.com

All I can say is, the quality SUCKED. I am returning it...

Need a better brand... but can`t seem to find any stores that carry these?

:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowes has a cheap-o version for $25-30. In the grand scheme of thigns, it isn`t the best quality, but it has worked better than a buddies Craftsman that only works when it wants to. And for the price, if it gave up, it isn`t too big of a deal.
    2005 Phantom Black Metallic Pontiac GTO

Head/cammed-450rwhp/415rwtq

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have a carquest in your area? if you do, they do sale those halogen lamps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine at HomeDepot for about $35CDN.
    You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, `Wow, you`re right! I never would`ve thought of that!`

Post Thanks / Like
    LSB M - I have a different one from Sears that`s a lot "fancier" than that one, it has two bulbs per head and a much nicer tripod; I think you`d be satisfied with its quality (it cost a few times what yours did).

But FWIW I also have a *really* cheap, crappy (and often/poorly repaired ) old generic one that makes yours look like top-shelf stuff and guess which one I actually like better....yep, the cheap, crappy one that looks like a piece of junk. When it comes to actually seeing what you want to see, and making the adjustments that you need to make, sometimes it can be surprising what`s actually the most functional.

I`d consider using what you have for a while and make sure it`s really deficient (functionally speaking). Then buy another "better" one if you think you really need it. IMO it`s not like you can have too many lights anyhow

Post Thanks / Like
    Wal-mart has the tripod ones for like 20 bucks.

I got the 500watt one for 9 bucks and it sufficient for me. No need to use more...

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a setup from Cooper Lighting that is truly commercial grade. It`s a bit on the heavy side, but definitely quality built. Check around for a "real" hardware store, you should be able to find a decent setup from them. If all else fails, give Grainger a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a generic one on sale from harbor freight. It was dirt cheap and works like a champ.

Craftsman is poopy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Home Depot, they have a few halogen lamps on stands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LSB M
    I`m not talking about desk lights... I want those heavy duty 1000W halogen lights that people use in the garage when detailing cars....

I bought this from Sears...

Craftsman WL500DPT-S 1000 watt Tripod Light with Portable Stand at Sears.com

All I can say is, the quality SUCKED. I am returning it...

Need a better brand... but can`t seem to find any stores that carry these?

:nixweiss
    I`m glad you feel the same way I do about those lights, I`ll never buy another Craftsman set of worklights again, horrible build quality.
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    i have the bayco brand tripod stand i bought at pepboys (yellow stand) and notice they sell it at wal-mart for around $20-$25 as stiffgogg06 mentioned. it`s worked pretty well thus far...

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought mine at Sears, it`s a dual head 1000 watt that retailed for $29.99, but I got it on sale for $19.99, I like it for garage detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinDetail
    I bought mine at Sears, it`s a dual head 1000 watt that retailed for $29.99, but I got it on sale for $19.99, I like it for garage detailing.
    that`s the one I have too. When I first got it I stripped out one of the tightening knobs with very little effort so now one of the lights doesn`t stay upright. I also don`t like how you can`t remove a single light from the stand and use it by it`s lonesome. Well, you can, but the other light won`t be far behind cause they`re both wired into the same breaker box. But yeah, they do light up like they`re supposed to it`s just that I think they could have done alot better quality wise and made it more practical as well (being able to use a single light off the stand without having to make sure the other light was close behind.)
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Thread Information