Post Thanks / Like
    I`m selling my `03 Hinda Civic and I`m going to detail it. As far as the exterior is concerned what do you guys suggest.? It`s silver so swirls can`t easily be seen but I know they are there.

Should I med. cut polish, final polish and LSP or Final polish and LSP or Wash and LSP.

Most people when selling their cars just wash and clean it. What should I do?
    :::Johnnie:::

Keep it Wet

Post Thanks / Like
    Do what needs to be done. If it needs to be polished to remove swirls, then do that. Definitely wash and clay it and then do whatever the paint requires to look like new. Throw on a sealant or wax of your choice and it should be good to go. There isn`t a written list of things that must be done on a vehicle before you can sell it. It all depends on the condition, color, and desired result. Do whatever you feel is right.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not go overboard, but a good detail has always helped me negotiate a better selling price. A clean looking car gives the impression that the whole car was well maintained and eases the buyers mind (even if trading in to the dealer). Silver cars are great in masking swirls and minor imperfections. So I would wash & clay followed by sealant or glaze+sealant. One thing to be aware is any repaints from accidents will be more noticeable to a dealer after detailing. If nothing else, you are giving your car some TLC before parting ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I honestly doubt I`m going to clay it. I`ll probably either polish or glaze follwed with an LSP. I`m definitely going to detail the engine which should help a lot and detailing the interior as well.

Keep it Wet

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t underestimate the power of clay. If you don`t clay it then the surface won`t be as smooth as it could be. You could do nothing else other than wash, clay, and wax it and it would look and feel better than most of the cars out there. Honestly, if you aren`t willing to clay it, then why are you even concerned about polishing swirls out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point. I`m just trying to keep it to a minimum. Maybe I`ll just clay, glaze and LSP like you suggested. I just don`t want to wash, clay, polish, final polish, LSP.

Keep it Wet

Post Thanks / Like
    If it were *me*, I would go all out on it. Most cars being sold are clean, but not properly polished. I would do whatever it takes to give it that extra 10% to make it truely stand out.

Just my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like
    With a 1 year old son, a pregnant wife, I hardly have time to wash my car.

Keep it Wet

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a great tip to help you make your car stand out from the rest. Do whatever you want to the paint whether it`s clay, polish, sealant whatever. Whatever you decide, make sure you spend plenty of time on the wheels, glass and trim. Silver paint just doesn`t stand out that much know matter what you do to it. But super shiny wheels and glass will add eye capturing sparkle that will impress those thinking of purchasing. Make sure you clean and dress the tires and wheel wells also. Dress up these accessory items and your silver car will gleam.

Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Automobile dealerships have their cars cleaned for curb appeal.

If you went to look at two identical vehicles, one clean and the other not, which would you pick?

Cleaning a car eliminates one objection by a potential buyer.

Cleaning the whole thing is important, not just the exterior. Have you ever gone to a car lot, seen a potential, then opened the door to some odd odor?

This is an objection as well. It`s often a silent one as most potential buyers will just close the door and move on without saying anything. While nasty dog smell, rotten food, mildew, and cigarette odors are turnoffs to most people, I say to avoid air fresheners for the same reason. Keep the vehicle odor neutral.

Give your car a very thorough cleaning. How thorough? This is your decision. Eliminate the objections on your way to the sale.

Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie27
    Good point. I`m just trying to keep it to a minimum. Maybe I`ll just clay, glaze and LSP like you suggested. I just don`t want to wash, clay, polish, final polish, LSP.
    Forget the glaze, its pointless on a silver car. Just clay , cleaner wax wheels ,tires and wheel wells . Wipe off under the hood , just the top of the engine. Do the interior very good and clean the windows. Do the black trim . That should do it.

Thread Information