Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    others already have the machine so they should post. In order for scott to do the test he would have to buy the machine, if he didnt like it then hes out the money. Unless it was givin to him strictly for testing and then returned, but that might not happen. my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    Scott, part that I do not comprehend is why would expert of your caliber wait on the input of others that will most likely be less competent to do such test than you?

What? I should buy a $150 polisher to do the test? Are you going to give me the money? I already have a PC and Cyclo. Why would I buy another RO/DA buffer just to test? If it doesn`t correct any better than a PC, then I wasted $150.

Several people already have both. The whole reason for the UDM to exist is to provide a more powerful version of the PC. I have yet to see a test that compares the two on that basis.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    that is strange, what`s up with the bush beatin udm reviews.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    What? I should buy a $150 polisher to do the test? Are you going to give me the money? I already have a PC and Cyclo. Why would I buy another RO/DA buffer just to test? If it doesn`t correct any better than a PC, then I wasted $150.
    What I was saying is that if you are interested would some tool work better for you you are among most competent ones to answer that question.

Also, I know that it would be nice to have side by side test and that nobody posted that yet, however few people that have reputation of knowing their stuff posted that UDM is correcting better. SpoiledMan for one said UDM corrects at 4.5 what PC would need 6 for. Is that not at least some assurance UDM does correct more?

P.S. You wouldn`t be out $150. I would guess you wouldn`t have problem selling it with very little loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC

Also, I know that it would be nice to have side by side test and that nobody posted that yet, however few people that have reputation of knowing their stuff posted that UDM is correcting better. SpoiledMan for one said UDM corrects at 4.5 what PC would need 6 for. Is that not at least some assurance UDM does correct more?

Not enough to get me to spend $150. I want to see side by side comparisons under halogens. There are several good detailers here who have both. I can`t buy every single product and tool out there to test, that is what this forum is for, so we can share information.

P.S. You wouldn`t be out $150. I would guess you wouldn`t have problem selling it with very little loss.

I buy one, test and it post results showing no clear advantage over a PC and you honestly think I could sell it with very little loss if that was the case?
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted my review on the official UDM thread:

Quote Originally Posted by me
    For me the UDM is my first polisher and here`s my experience with it:

I found the orbital motions at first to be unsettling, especially on the lower speeds. Even though it was my first machine polish I cranked it up to speed 6 to fix some deep scratches on my parents` Camry (this car hasn`t been waxed or polished from the day we got it in 98 and also haphazardly washed every few months.) I tried speed 4 and 5 first but they didn`t do enough for the deep swirls so I cranked it up. The vibrations are kind of large but it`s ultimately smooth. Once I got used to the feel of a random orbit I was very comfortable with the machine. After I finished my hood, I didn`t even notice the vibrations. For finishing, I was even able to comfortably control the machine with one hand (I was tired.)

Now what really impressed me was how the UDM just kept on truckin even though I really leaned into it. on the trunk I practically lifted myself pushing down on the machine and it didn`t give the slightest hint of bogging down. I can`t compare to the PC but as far as power tools go, I`m not used to anything that can support so much pressure. It broke down the polish admirably quickly. When I get my technique down to a science I`m sure I can do my car in about an hour to an hour and a half (heavy polish/compound + final polish.)

I couldn`t get out a lot of the scratching though (I was using Intensive Polish.) I got out 100% of the surface swirls but deeper ones I couldn`t touch. I don`t know if that`s a function of the polish or the polisher but I assume it`s the polish because the polisher broke the polish down really quickly at that speed and pressure. When done the paint was pleasantly warm, not hot, despite the amount of pressure, the speed, and how slow my passes were, so the margin of user-error on the UDM is as huge as random orbitals advertise. With a heavier cutting polish I`m sure I could get the deeper scratches out. I`ll have to order some to test that out but I really think the IP gave up well before the UDM did. I`ll be looking forward to finding the UDM`s limit potential.

I`m trying to find bad things to say about the UDM so as to not make it sound like I`m just an Autopia fan boy but the only flaw I found was the on/off switch that everyone already complained about. It`s somewhat conveniently located but a little too easy to access. I never accidentally turned it on but I have a feeling I will sooner or later. I just gotta be mindful and I may be able to avoid plastering my garage walls. I think a rocker switch may be better but most likely more difficult to manufacture.

What I`ve found out since then is that the polish indeed gave out well before the polisher and all I needed to do was do one or two more focused passes per section (I was doing 2 wide passes per section.) Also now that I`ve a little more use with the UDM I found the vibrations to be VERY tolerable. I tried again to apply my LSP with one hand on the UDM at speed 3, 4, and 5, and it was comfortable throughout, although speed 3 did get a little jittery using only one hand. The balance at high speeds is confidence inspiring.

Since the UDM is my first polisher I can`t compare to the PC so I know I`m not very useful to the seasoned detailers but any machine newbies looking for a good machine, the UDM is it.

Heh, sorry Scottwax and all, I can`t do a good side-by-side since I don`t have a PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not enough to get me to spend $150.
    I guess then lack of direct comparison so far shouldn`t be a big deal as it is nothing that little time and patience can not resolve.

I buy one, test and it post results showing no clear advantage over a PC and you honestly think I could sell it with very little loss if that was the case?
    Yes. In the worst case you would be out difference between what PCs are eBaying for and sale price of UDM, plus shipping, which should be approximately $35, $50 at max.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    Damn, they even have their own polishes(dont know if they are for paint though) and pads. Well I don`t know if they make their own pads or they are from other companys, but its on that site. I wonder how the polishes work.

The polishes works very well IMO...better then many polishes used around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if im wrong but i recall DavidB offering a no question ask return policy so all you be out of is shipping cost!!!
    another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like
    Which is still money lost, as well as the hassle of shipping it back. It`s not too big a deal but entirely avoidable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Soooo many abbreviations on this forum lol.

What does UDM stand for, and where can it be purchased? Sounds interesting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fliplyricist1
    Soooo many abbreviations on this forum lol.

What does UDM stand for, and where can it be purchased? Sounds interesting...

Ultimate Detailing Machine

You can buy it from some online vendors like ExcelDetail, Danase, AutoGeek, etc. or you can buy it from the Autopia-Carcare store

Ultimate Detailing Machine

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m 100% with ScottWax! I`ve been asking for the same thing since day 1 and I have yet to see any in depth reviews on this thing. Everyone talks about the same things, the size of the shroud, the on/off switch, the vibration, the length of the cord, the fact that it doesn`t bog, how heavy it is, etc. All that is good and well but does nothing to convince me, or dissuade me, from buying one. Considering the fact that I have a PC and a rotary and am getting wonderful results with them, I would need to be convinced in order to make the purchase. All it would take to convince me is to be shown that 1.) the UDM can not only remove more defects than a PC, but it can also 2.) do it faster than a PC.

There`s a member here named Whitelightning46 who does excellent details, I thought he was using a rotary judging from the corrections he`s been able to do, but he`s been using a PC this whole time. I have yet to see anyone post up a correction job that`s even been equal to what he`s been able to accomplish with the PC.

The UDM has been in the hands of many competent detailers for a while now, i`m beginning to think they aren`t all that impressed with the machine:nixweiss
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vxrmarc
    Ok Ok Ok , you want it back.....

What can i say about the festool......

Interestingly i dont think the festool has a smaller backing plate available and also struggled to find it on the net even after googleing??

The Festool has a rigid backing plate as an alternative to the plate that comes with the unit. It`s called a sanding plate and costs around $19 or so.

Festool - Product Details

I`ve been using mine for the last year and it is definitely a very powerful tool. It is expensive like the others said, but the ergonomics and power of this machine are tops. The biggest use I get from this tool is repairing plastic body panels (bumpers, rocker panels, headlight/tailight lenses, etc).

Toto
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron please chime in about your "PC on steroids" ,the Dynabrade random orbital head kit #61374 with 3/4"(yes 3/4") random orbit motion for your rotary.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information