Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, yeah, one thing I forgot to mention that should be obvious but I feel many people will forget to think about so warning should be nice: Watch out for heat being trapped between backing plate and pad. UDM, naturally, results in more.

Also, for what`s it`s worth, 6.5" CCS pads I have used on Rotex are from CMA, ordered on Xmas (first batches of them). No issues with pads noticed so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a PC, Festool, and Metabo on its way and have used all 3. Long story short, PC is being sold. Festool gives everything that the PC can offer, plus 2 more settings above it. (PC5/6=Festool3/4). It also gives you the ability to do simple corrections from the rotary side, equivalent to about a 1, maybe 2 on the Metabo. While I still wouldn`t replace both pc and rotary with the Festool, the combo that I chose is the Festool/Metabo. Oh, and I don`t get ringing in my ears from the PC anymore either Vibration is also significantly less on the Festool, not to mention the soft start, which you normally find only on rotaries.

Post Thanks / Like
    PC`s vibration I can live with, I`m used to it. Does the UDM correct better than the PC?
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tod071
    Long story short, PC is being sold.

Keep the PC, get the Cyclo carpet brushes, bolt one on and use the PC to clean carpets and mats. I have two PCs, one is dead so I`m going to have it fixed and set it up for carpet duty.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t know if anyone has seen it in action but Festool - Festool video heres the link. Just click on sanders and you can see it. They are using it on wood though. I didn`t know it had a rotory function and an orbital function. Plus the switching backing plates is really easy, its just a push of a button. Pretty cool. Now they need a vid polishing a car.

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was an excellent video MobileJay. Did you happen to see that they have an automotive applications website? I found it when looking at their international site, it`s very interesting. Festool Automotive - Elektrowerkzeuge und Druckluftwerkzeuge Does anyone have experience with their rotary polisher the Pollux 180 E? Nice tools, I`m curious how much the RO 150 is here.
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tod071
    I have a PC, Festool, and Metabo on its way and have used all 3. Long story short, PC is being sold. Festool gives everything that the PC can offer, plus 2 more settings above it. (PC5/6=Festool3/4). It also gives you the ability to do simple corrections from the rotary side, equivalent to about a 1, maybe 2 on the Metabo. While I still wouldn`t replace both pc and rotary with the Festool, the combo that I chose is the Festool/Metabo. Oh, and I don`t get ringing in my ears from the PC anymore either Vibration is also significantly less on the Festool, not to mention the soft start, which you normally find only on rotaries.

Thanks for the info. helps a lot!

Howard

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    There is some mentioning of Festool and it`s "cousins" across detailing boards for those that dig. Totoland Mach was biggest poster. When it comes to noise UDM is bit better than PC. Festool is, again, way ahead in that category too.

When it comes to correction abilities between these three I aborted that test as I realized circumstances are such I wouldn`t be able to provide best answer to that question. However, I can talk about perceptions of power.

UDM does not bog down as easy as PC. I can easily bog down PC with 5" pads. I can bog down UDM too but it takes more to do that by margin that is big enough that bogging down is not in your way.

And bogging down Festool? Fuggedaboutit. That thing keeps running. Yes, you can still bog it down but it takes sooo much it is same as if you can not bog it down because you would never use so much pressure, not even accidentally, during normal course of work.

So, can Festool correct better than UDM? Again, I am not able to provide that answer yet. However, logic says yes. I am not using logic of "Festool has more amps" because one could on the other hand say it has shortr throw. I am using logic "Totoland Mach used to use it daily on number of BMWs, if Festool was not better than PC he would be using PC".

Still, hopefully I will be able one day to provide definite answer on that. In the meantime I will keep posting updates.

Yeah.....I asked Totoland recently on another site how he likes the Festool as he`s had it for about 8 months. Sounds like he uses it mostly for plastic parts while using a rotary for the rest.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Kenobi
    That was an excellent video MobileJay. Did you happen to see that they have an automotive applications website? I found it when looking at their international site, it`s very interesting. Festool Automotive - Elektrowerkzeuge und Druckluftwerkzeuge Does anyone have experience with their rotary polisher the Pollux 180 E? Nice tools, I`m curious how much the RO 150 is here.

Damn, they even have their own polishes(dont know if they are for paint though) and pads. Well I don`t know if they make their own pads or they are from other companys, but its on that site. I wonder how the polishes work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Keep the PC, get the Cyclo carpet brushes, bolt one on and use the PC to clean carpets and mats. I have two PCs, one is dead so I`m going to have it fixed and set it up for carpet duty.
    Excellent tip. I was ready to give up a brand new 4" BP & pad too, but now I have even more use for the PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    So is the UDM better than the Festool, or just a different geared machine. I`d imagine the Festool is the way to go for professionals.

Still love my Rotary! No replacement at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea but I am assuming that UDM is better than PC and Festool is better than UDM and under a rotary of course. but no one knows yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    I have no idea but I am assuming that UDM is better than PC... but no one knows yet

Why no one with both machines seems unwilling to do a side by side comparison of the two using the same pads, same polish and same speed under halogen lights is competely beyond my ability to comprehend. Absolutely the only thing that matters to me (and probably 99.9% of the rest of autopia) is whether or not the UDM corrects better/faster than the PC. The rest of the stuff is just fluff.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I want a comparison of correction power!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Why no one with both machines seems unwilling to do a side by side comparison of the two using the same pads, same polish and same speed under halogen lights is competely beyond my ability to comprehend. Absolutely the only thing that matters to me (and probably 99.9% of the rest of autopia) is whether or not the UDM corrects better/faster than the PC. The rest of the stuff is just fluff.
    Scott, part that I do not comprehend is why would expert of your caliber wait on the input of others that will most likely be less competent to do such test than you?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information