Post Thanks / Like
    I have an original 1962 Corvette I want to polish and need suggestions on which polish to use.

I have Menzerna 106FF and PO85RD. Which of these or which other polish should I use. Only thing I have put on it in the past is Meguiars 7.

Post Thanks / Like
    What does it look like in direct sun? Any pictures of it in direct sun?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    LazerRed1- That is just *so* cool that the `vette is still original after all those years!

SS white, even lacquer, is generally very hard, so I don`t think you need to worry *too* much about being too aggressive. So either Menzerna product oughta work OK. But OTOH it`s only original once and to have one of that vintage still in the original paint is really something.

So I`d do the least amount of correction necessary to make it look OK and then stick with the Meg`s #7 approach. After 45 years stuff, like marring is what I consider "patina" and I`d hate to take off much of any of that paint. After *another* 45 years, you won`t have been the guy who" took off so much paint back in 2007" that it eventually had to be repainted. I`d only do a very gentle polishing, just enough to remove any oxidation and bring up the gloss a bit, but not enough to really correct any significant marring.

In the future, I`d use some kind of non/barely abrasive paint cleaner every now and then to remove the #7 (and/or any new oxidation) so you don`t get a build-up of "dead #7" and other dulling stuff on the paint.

If you want to put wax over top of the #7, I`d probably lean towards #26 now that #16 isn`t commonly available. But plenty of showcars/garage queens do fine with just #7 on them, and this is *exactly* what it was made for- use on lacquer paint (the original name for #7 was "sealer and reseal glaze").

Post Thanks / Like
    God man.... beautiful car...

Post Thanks / Like
    It really doesn`t look terrible. You can see a little marring, nothing serious. It hardly ever sees the light of day (garage queen) so protection really isn`t a concern. Never be a show car since it`s unrestored so I may just leave it and keep up with the 7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LazerRed1
    It really doesn`t look terrible. You can see a little marring, nothing serious....

OK, then I`d go very gentle with the Menzerna.

It hardly ever sees the light of day (garage queen) so protection really isn`t a concern...

Then just the #7 might be enough. A number of people who know what they`re doing use approaches like this (e.g. Forrest at Mother`s Wax).

Never be a show car since it`s unrestored...

Unrestored cars can be the *best* showcars for some tastes (including mine). There are separate classes for original cars and some of us value those *MUCH* more highly than restorations. Anybody with the money can have a restored car, original ones require more than just deep pockets

Post Thanks / Like
    For SS i reach for meguiars everytime

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe
    For SS i reach for meguiars everytime

Yeah, those "trade secret oils" are great on ss lacquer, no doubt about it.

I wouldn`t hesitate to use the Menzerna polishes, but for glazes/etc. the Meg`s stuff is a good way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I`ll probably stick to the 7.

You know how it is, get a new PC and want to polish everything in sight.:laugh:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Yeah, those "trade secret oils" are great on ss lacquer, no doubt about it.

I wouldn`t hesitate to use the Menzerna polishes, but for glazes/etc. the Meg`s stuff is a good way to go.

I agree with Accumulator 100 percent -- Here is a picture of my 58 Vette!!

But I do use RMG for a glaze just because I have trouble removing #7. I will be bring the it to the 4th of July car show and I put a quick layer of Acu-Wax and was really impressed with the out come.
    -Dennis

My Cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisH
    I agree with Accumulator 100 percent -- Here is a picture of my 58 Vette!!

But I do use RMG for a glaze just because I have trouble removing #7. I will be bring the it to the 4th of July car show and I put a quick layer of Acu-Wax and was really impressed with the out come.

Do you mean you have trouble removing 7 right after application or after it`s been on awhile and before re-glazing?

Post Thanks / Like
    DennisH- Heh heh you sure do have some great cars :xyxthumbs It`s especially nice to see an older `vette that`s not redone in b/c.

Yeah, #7 can be a PIA no matter how familiar you are with it. I tend to settle for the slightly less impressive appearance (but much easier application) of #5 (which I`ve loved using for over 30 years now). Gotta try one of the newfangled glazes some day if I ever use up my old stuff.

LazerRed1- #7 just isn`t the most user-friendly product in the world, at least for some people on some paints. #5 is about as user-friendly as products of *any* kind get, it`s like falling off a log. #3 is in-between as is #81. Then there are all the newer glazes like RMG...

I`d probably use #5 on it, but that`s just me.

Thread Information