Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

First post, complete newbie to detailing so I`ll try to explain my situation carefully.

I`ve got a yellow 91 Toyota MR2, and the paint has become faded and lighter than what it should be. I`m told this is due to oxidation, and that a good cut / polish will do the trick, or at least make things look better.

This is just faded paint - I`ve seen some oxidation pictures that were to do with clearcoat (which I don`t think my car ever had), and looked like the pox, which is not at all what is happening here.

From someone else, I`ve also been told that I need a repaint, which isn`t what I`m hoping to hear.

That being said, I had someone take some 3M product and polish a section on top of my car for a few minutes, and the color and shine came back, maybe not quite to where it was originally (not that I would know what it looked like new), but it was a definite improvement, so I`d like to believe that something is possible.

Preferably looking for something I can use myself by hand. I was recommended the Medium Oxidation Remover from 3M (39066) but I haven`t been able to find that locally (and Amazon won`t ship to Canada), and even though I`ve seen a list of products and their strength, I`m still a bit confused as to what a similar product of similar quality would be.

I`m hoping to get some pictures up (or emailed to anyone know thinks they can lend some advice), but in the meantime, any advice on where I should start or what products would be good would be appreciated.

Thanks!

m

Post Thanks / Like
    I would lend my recommendation to a paint cleaner first. This will help you evaluate further treatment down the road, should you decide to PC it. Your not going to get too far with swirls by hand anyway, and your real issue should be (at this point) bringin the color back.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    did someone say oxidation?

well...i can`t imagine doing it by hand, but oxidation that i`ve dealt with comes off easily with a PC. i used an orange LC and HTEC in the pic below. since you are doing it by hand, be aware that heavy oxidation will gunk up your pads and towels faster than normal, so have extras of whatever you are using.

2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a B E A Utiful job on removing oxidation.

Love that half and half shot!

Thread Information