Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying Wax

Post Thanks / Like
    PC or by hand?

If PC, a finishing pad is all I need?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by anubus12
    PC or by hand?

Yes Either way will work great; use speed 3-4.5 by PC. With the PC, be a little gentle so you don`t disturb any underlying product (e.g., glaze, etc.).

If PC, a finishing pad is all I need?

They`ll work, but I prefer a more open pad...a polishing pad that`s mild enough to not contribute any cut in and of itself. And a *lot* of polishing pads qualify.

Seems to me that some finishing pads (e.g., LC black) are too "tight" to accept some waxes and I just don`t like the feel of them for this- too soft for my taste. But that`s a personal preference and it matters more to me with paste waxes than with liquids.

A good pad that`s not mentioned here too often is the red Griot`s waxing pad. Just a bit different from most finishing pads and very durable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    They`ll work, but I prefer a more open pad...a polishing pad that`s mild enough to not contribute any cut in and of itself. And a *lot* of polishing pads qualify.

Seems to me that some finishing pads (e.g., LC black) are too "tight" to accept some waxes and I just don`t like the feel of them for this- too soft for my taste. But that`s a personal preference and it matters more to me with paste waxes than with liquids.

A good pad that`s not mentioned here too often is the red Griot`s waxing pad. Just a bit different from most finishing pads and very durable.

Thanks for the reply. So a green, white or blue pads would be OK? Also, with what product or when would a black pad be used then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by anubus12
    Thanks for the reply. So a green, white or blue pads would be OK? Also, with what product or when would a black pad be used then?

Oh gee...I can`t really answer because I`m not up-to-date on the various pads out there IIRC, and oh man I`d check this out before you try it, the blue pad would be plenty gentle enough.

But the black LC pad would work fine with liquid waxes and some would use it with pastes too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would prefer to use a PC

Post Thanks / Like
    i prefer using the PC with 4" pads to apply lsp`s, and by hand in the tight areas the PC can`t reach...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    i prefer using the PC with 4" pads to apply lsp`s, and by hand in the tight areas the PC can`t reach...

Including inside some wax cans that`re too big for larger pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I`m surprised to see so many people preferring to apply waxes by machine. The majority is usually by hand, including myself.

I find it easier and just as effective to apply wax by hand, imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDookie
    Hmm, I`m surprised to see so many people preferring to apply waxes by machine. The majority is usually by hand, including myself.

I find it easier and just as effective to apply wax by hand, imo.

i use to do it by hand, but found with the PC i get more even coverage and product exerted into the finish to a light thin coat. also, i found to use less product as well. a few dabs into the paste tin is enough to do one whole panel easily...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    i use to do it by hand, but found with the PC i get more even coverage and product exerted into the finish to a light thin coat. also, i found to use less product as well. a few dabs into the paste tin is enough to do one whole panel easily...

You have a very valid point, but I just get enjoyment out of applying wax by hand. It reminds me of when my dad would wax his truck every sunday.

Post Thanks / Like
    i only apply 16 by pc
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a very valid point, but I just get enjoyment out of applying wax by hand. It reminds me of when my dad would wax his truck every sunday.

I usually think of the Karate Kid, "Wax on, wax off!" You`re lucky! I like PC seems faster and nice even coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    i prefer waxing by hand because i find i waste less product in the foam pad than the big finishing pad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000firebird
    i prefer waxing by hand because i find i waste less product in the foam pad than the big finishing pad

I think technique has something to do with how that works out. When I finish applying to a vehicle (by machine) I seldom find/have an appreciable wax in the pad when I clean it, no different from when I do it by hand.

But I sure won`t argue with people who want to do it by hand. Sometimes I`m in the mood for the same sort of experience JDookie referred to; doing the Jag by hand is simply *satisfying*.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a very valid point, but I just get enjoyment out of applying wax by hand.

if you enjoy doing it that way and protect the finish, that`s all that matters!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information