Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I went to my local Zeibart to have my windows tint. I got the best one they offered. The first time I got the car back the rear window tint was lying flat on the window but extended over onto the cloth from the convertible top so you could clearly see the gap from the tint and the window. I took it back a second time and this time they took an exact knife and did a real back job cutting the extra tint onto the glass. I took it back again and this time they brushed on vynyl paint in a hurry and it looked like a four year old could do a better job. Finally they replaced the window tint and it looked good.

A few days later after letting the tint dry for about a week and a half I go to open my window and the tint creaks up. They replace it.

The rear window gets these huge bubbles and the passenger side got another one that they didn`t fix. About 8 visits later we decide that perhaps they will never get it right and I get my money back. They stripped the tint but left all the glue on there, no surprise there.

What would be the best way to remove this glue for the next person to tint it without issues?

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! I`ve had roughly 10 rides tinted in the past, and never that many problems. I would definately go somewhere else. I`ve never been a fan of the Ziebarts or Auto Trim Designs. I would make them get the glue off! It`s not a fun task. I had to remove tint on front windows once (due to a ticket). I think I used Goo Gone, or Rubbing Alcohol, and lots of elbow grease. WD40 might also work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t want to go back there because I fear they could do more harm than good. They take no pride in their work. If it were me, I would have easily spotted the mistakes before returning the car to the client. Given that, and my attention to detail, I`d rather do it myself than let them hack at the car again.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about windex? The ammonia in it would work wouldn`t it?

Post Thanks / Like
    #0000 Steel Wool and some WD-40 work well...

Careful with that rear window...The defrosters as I`ve heard, can be a real pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your horrific experiences. I have used Ziebart (Shrewsbury, MA) for a couple of my cars now and they have done amazing jobs. They have a great reputation in my area. Good luck with the glue removal.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    3m Adhesive remover...you can get it at Walmart and it works wonders at this.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Stoners Tarminator works well. My friend had to remove his visor and used it.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear what happened on your car. They are a bunch of d***s!!!! Anyway good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Before going further, try a tsp of Dawn in a liter of water. Spray on, let it sit for a minute and then scrape off with a credit card. This has worked 80% of the time for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    They should have used a steamer when removing the window film. If you steam the tint and pull slow you can get the film and 99% of the glue off at the same time. This only applies to quality window tint though. Most of your adhesive removers and a single edge razor blade should do it, but it`s a major PITA.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the door glasses, I`d use Ammonia and NEW razor blades. For the back glass I`d use a steamer. At the shop our tint guy uses a steamer and some kind of scotchbrite type pad to remove the glue from the back glass.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday we had a storm and the rear defroster didn`t work. Today while pumping gas I noticed that the rear defroster had been lifted off the glass and bent back. I went to the ford dealership to check out another mustang and I noticed that it`s defroster unit was flat against the glass.

Over the lunch hour I went to Zeibart again and I told the person there what had happened, he just gave me a card and told me to call the manager on monday. Well, did he ever look like a ******* when the manager came in about ten seconds after he said that. I spoke to him and told him my problem, so he got out his test light and at first it didn`t work. Looks like it wasn`t clipped in properly. Then he said "there you go" or in other words you can leave now, but I don`t him I`m not leaving with that unit twisted backwards, if it does twist back in place you do it, I don`t want to be the one to break it.

So, it`s back to how it should be, but the glue remains. I haven`t really tackled it yet as I am getting ready for a bodybuilding competition for next week. I can tell from looking at things that the rear window is going to be a big pain in the rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d find a FormulaONE shop and get your tint there. Then maybe they`d remove the old adhesive in the process of putting your new stuff on. The one around here is very competent, and the all metal product is superb.

Post Thanks / Like
    3m ADHESIVE REMOVER and White scotchbrite (green can scratch glass)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information