Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I did it, I removed the tint glue, well sort of.

I went to wal-mart and I bought goo-gone, they didn`t have any 3M stuff. At first I used an old card to remove the glue, but it was taking long. I went to see my mechanic and he gave me a metal scraper to use. It took a good two hours in total to move all the glue, minus the back window. I`ve very scared of screwing up the defroster lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the future, the 3M stuff is not with the car supplies. It is over by the RV stuff and touch up paint.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    At work we use a steamer to pull tint. Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes it doesn`t. If there is a lot of glue left we just use an all purpose interior cleaner and razor on the doors.

Its a pain to get glue off the rear though. I use a really strong label/adhesive remover and a bug scrubber sponge. Might want to get a respirator though. The fumes can get pretty rough after a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Diddy
    At work we use a steamer to pull tint. Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes it doesn`t. If there is a lot of glue left we just use an all purpose interior cleaner and razor on the doors.

Its a pain to get glue off the rear though. I use a really strong label/adhesive remover and a bug scrubber sponge. Might want to get a respirator though. The fumes can get pretty rough after a bit.

You said a mouthful there. I am still high off the tarminator fumes and I am only a little over 50% done getting the glue off the back window. I steamed all the windows and everything was fine and came off perfect until I got to the back window. The glue was 90% still there. The tarminator works but it takes rubbing hard with a towel to keep getting the glue off. I HAD to stop after getting halfway due to the fumes. It sucks because I got all the tint off in a half hour. Then it took over a hlaf hour to get half the glue off the back window. Still after I return the steamer to walmart I will have paid $0 as opposed to paying a tint shop ~$175.

Post Thanks / Like
    To remove it the absolute safest way, IMO, you`ll need to tape a black, plastic bag to the top of the window on the inside. Then, spray it with a soap and water solution and get it nice and saturated. after that, tape the other end of the bag to the bottom of the glass, so that it covers the entire back windshield. Then, take it out in the sun and let it evaporate. By the time it`s evaporated, the glue should just sluff off like nothing. I learned this watching the window tinting guy at a place I used to work at in CO. Works very well and there`s no questions about messing of the rear defroster.
    Wolf`s Chemicals Detailing Products

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information