Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Rotary for removing these weird heavy scratches on a Rare BMW Z8...BLACK!!!!

I used:

Auto Magic XP Compound with a Orange Medium Cut Foam pad at 2000 RPM

Then

Auto Magic Power Cut Plus with a Orange Medium Cut Foam Pad 2000 RPM

Then

Auto Magic BC-1 with a Blue Light Cut Foam Pad 2000 RPM

Then

Auto Magic BC-2 with a Green Soft Polish Foan Pad 2000 RPM

Then

Auto Magic Paint Sealant with a white soft finish Foam Pad 2200 RPM

These werid swirl marks are now there. I re did everything in one section at a lower 1200 RPM and they are still there?

Whoever did this car before me had A TON of scrathces on it, so tried my hardest to help! I just bought a Black Foam Finish Pad and Auto Magic XP swirl Remover and I am going to try that.

WHEN can you tell someone that they just need to get a new clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow you must have removed a ton of clear coat. 2000 RPM is a lot. Do you have any pictures?
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    NoI did not get any pictures, my camera phone sucks.

I did not move slow with the machine, I would say 4-5 inches per second and sometimes faster. I never gave it enough time to sit.

I was told that 2000 RPM was okay so as long as I did not let it sit in one spot too long.

The swirl marks are not as bad as i have seen some cars, so I figure that swirl remover will work along with a soft foam pad at 1000-1200 RPM?

Post Thanks / Like
    To be truly honest with you, they look more like compound lines more than swirl marks!

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try BC1 on a wool light cut pad at 1500rpm and then XP SMR on a black finishing foam @1250.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can I get a Wool Light Cut pad?

Would Foam work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by envirocbr
    I used a Rotary for removing these weird heavy scratches on a Rare BMW Z8...BLACK!!!!

I used:

Auto Magic XP Compound with a Orange Medium Cut Foam pad at 2000 RPM

Then

Auto Magic Power Cut Plus with a Orange Medium Cut Foam Pad 2000 RPM

Then

Auto Magic BC-1 with a Blue Light Cut Foam Pad 2000 RPM

Then

Auto Magic BC-2 with a Green Soft Polish Foan Pad 2000 RPM

Then

Auto Magic Paint Sealant with a white soft finish Foam Pad 2200 RPM

These werid swirl marks are now there. I re did everything in one section at a lower 1200 RPM and they are still there?

Whoever did this car before me had A TON of scrathces on it, so tried my hardest to help! I just bought a Black Foam Finish Pad and Auto Magic XP swirl Remover and I am going to try that.

WHEN can you tell someone that they just need to get a new clear coat?

:har: Your combos are way off!!! Here`s some suggstions/questions:

Why did you use 2 compounds?? Why did you work @ 2000 RPM`s??? BC-1 won`t take out the damage you inflicted into the finish unless you use a wool pad or step up to New Car Glaze with a cutting foam pad. A blue foam pad won`t remove anything. Use BC-2 with a Blue Foam pad. Don`t apply paint sealant at 2200 RPMs and/or with a rotary. Stay away from the black foam pad. It won`t help one bit on this application.

Try this:

Make sure the finish has been clayed

BC-1 with a Yellow Wool Pad (that will take out the compound marring) - 1500 RPMs

GS-1 with a Yellow Foam Pad (that will remove any swirls the wool created) - 1500 RPMs

BC-2 with a Blue Foam Pad (that will give it a really deep shine/finish) - 1200-1500 RPMs

Paint Sealant with a PC or by hand (not by rotary)

Work each product wet, keep the pad flat and stay under 1800 RPMs. Clean/spur your pad after every panel. Good luck. Hopefully the paint is still repairable. :nervous2:

Glad to see you`re using Auto Magic. It takes a little practice to know what to works with each application. Let me know if you need help. :secret
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot. I was told that 2000 rpm was a comfortable area to be in.

BTW, what would claying the finish do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly, the guy was going to re-paint the car, he just wanted to see what could come of this paint job. The guy before me did a hell of a number to it, I told him I would seriously try my best to work with it.

I even told him on a finish that bad, I make no gaurantee.

I love Auto Magic. Affordable prices and I love how their products perform.

Just this Rotary thing I have to get right. I am used to hand dong things, but that is not the way to go for swirl removal and oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by envirocbr
    Thanks a lot. I was told that 2000 rpm was a comfortable area to be in.

BTW, what would claying the finish do?

2200 is way too much. At higher speeds like that, you greatly increase your chances of marring the finish too much with an abrasive product.

Claying is mandatory for a swirl free finish on black. If there`s contamination on the finish, it will hinder the performance of your products. Contamination is abrasive and as it gets removed from the finish during buffing, it can add swirls in the finish. 1 step forward and 1/2 step back. Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got ya!

I was told to work my way down on the Compounding, case XP compound is harsh and Power Cut plus is less harsh, BC-1 2 etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay away from any of their compounds unless you`re wet sanding or doing acid rain removal. Learn how to master a wool pad with some agressive polishes before stepping all the way up to compound. I hardly ever use it. Each vehicle/color/problem will dictate what pad/product/process to use with Auto Magic products. I don`t think there`s a sure fire combo that works on all vehicles. Each one responds quite differently. After a while you`ll be able to just look at a finish and *know* what combo will work the best. It takes practice.

Thread Information