Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanna learn how to wetsand clear coat. I bought everything you could ever need. The problem im runing into is i cannot get my hands on any scrap panels. I went to 8 body shops and i got the same answer from all but one of them and thats a big NO!

They all said that they have a scrapper that takes everything. I told them all that i would return them when im done and my intention wasnt to keep them. I offered my name, #, address, email and even my work #. One body shop said "sure! we keep scrap panels out back for our scrapper" and "you can have them if you can get to them before the scrapper does". I thought COOL. So i asked when the scrapper comes around, he says "6am, 12pm and 6pm". GREEEAAAAAAAAT, i wont be beating him there anytime soon :lol

How do you guys get your scrap panels? Scrap metal is going for a pretty penny and no one will even loan me a busted panel let alone give me one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry mods if this is in the wrong section, it dosent really fit anywhere else i dont think.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get mine from my friends body shop when needed. It is hard to get them though because if they are throwing them out they are usually pretty smashed up. Try a junk yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Junkyard i will have to pay for them though

Post Thanks / Like
    Metal is at a premium now and it is going to be hard to find someone to just give it away even if it is something small.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its funny that people here always tell others to "just pick up a scrap panel from a body shop". Like its THAT easy :lol

Im really just ranting :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a scrap hood in excellent shape from a body shop on my first try a year or more ago.

The thing had some scuffs, so I buffed them out. It could have easily been re-used. I returned it when I was done though.

Greg
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    You got very lucky then, almost all these body shops said no instantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been in the same boat! Hearing everyone talk about how easy it is. I have been running into brick walls. The junk yards want $120 min for any panel. They laughed when I said I would just borrow it. The body shops look at me like I am asking for a free paint job or something. My buddy gave me one from his step side truck, it`s plastic not metal so the scrappers didn`t want it. I have a few more places to check. If I hit the mother load I will let you know. Might be worth a drive to Green Bay... lol I have been joking that I should just buy a $300 car, practice then sell it. Good luck!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I never had a problem getting one....must be cause I live in a rural area..but the first time I asked and talked to the owner..I told him I would bring it back....a while later I brought the hood back and asked if I could get a trunk lid if any..he said sure..go look...I have been swapping them out ....worse come to worse..tell them you will leave a 20.00 deposit on it...they are not going to get 20.00 for a hood or fender scrap...when you return it get your deposit back...

AL
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueZero
    I have been in the same boat! Hearing everyone talk about how easy it is. I have been running into brick walls. The junk yards want $120 min for any panel. They laughed when I said I would just borrow it. The body shops look at me like I am asking for a free paint job or something. My buddy gave me one from his step side truck, it`s plastic not metal so the scrappers didn`t want it. I have a few more places to check. If I hit the mother load I will let you know. Might be worth a drive to Green Bay... lol I have been joking that I should just buy a $300 car, practice then sell it. Good luck!

EXACTLY what im goin through!

People make it sound so easy to get like its no big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupe, I have some scrap hoods you can have if you have a way of getting them to GR. I drive a Grand Prix so unfortunately I can`t get them to you. I will check in our barn tomorrow otherwise to see if I have a smaller quarter panel.

If you`re interested just shoot me a PM when/if you know you`ll be around Holland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you offer to pay for a part? Metal isn`t worth very much unless it`s Aluminum or Copper. We buy metal for about $.40 a pound right now, and I`m sure our scrapper pays us pennies per pound. So I can`t imagine them getting more than $5 for something like a hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea! I`ll give that a try. $5 is fine with me. I just don`t see paying the junk yard price.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupe:

Try Wealthy Auto Body on Lagrave Ave or Star Collision Center on Plainfield Ave. They are 2 of our Direct Repair Shops. Ask them if you can *borrow* a hood or a trunk panel to practice on. Ask them to set one aside and you will pay them scrap weight and return it when your done. Try to make friends with them so that they can teach you some techniques. Make sure to tell them that one of Travelers Insurance`s Auto Appraisers referred you to them. Please let me know how it goes. You should go up there in person instead of calling.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information