Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    How should one go about these areas with a PC or by hand? The bumper was recently repainted, less than 3 weeks ago. I need suggestions for pad combo`s and polish on these more "delicate" areas without damaging or burning through the paint. If you would advise to only hand polish these areas, let me know. Would you suggest that I not polish it at all? Of course, I don`t see swirls on the paint but in some areas there are little imperfections in the paint itself (I don`t think polish will do much for this).

I know there is no wax or sealant for at least 3 months also until it has fully outgassed. So choosing a polish which is gentle yet does not include protection is difficult.

Thanks.
    Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    Most new clears say you can polish within 72 hours of repaint. I color sanded and buffed my whole truck 3 days after it was painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz
    Most new clears say you can polish within 72 hours of repaint. I color sanded and buffed my whole truck 3 days after it was painted.

So it doesn`t matter the type of polish and pad combo you use? Treat it just like a cured panel?
    Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally like the 3M rubbing compounds 05936 with a foam pad. Also the 05937 machine glaze is really good but they quit making it. You may still be able to find it somewhere. I wouldn`t use a wool pad. Air dry polish time is usually within 72 hours and if baked it can be done next day or some after cooldown. If it has been 3 weeks you are good. The bumper is cured.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve polished repainted plastic bumper covers (and yeah, those old PI-III products are great), but they *will* get harder so maybe you oughta wait if you`re worried about an "oops". You won`t burn through, you`ll just *maybe* haze the soft clear. If so just wait a few weeks and redo it.

But from your description of the condition, I`d leave `em alone and just glaze `em. Unless you want to correct some marring, don`t use an abrasive polish.

Thread Information