Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I have an `05 F350 SRW that has dealt me great fits with the paint. I want to know if anyone else had seen or had issues like this.

The truck has severe acid rain etching on all surfaces that hold water. Mainly the hood, front bumper cover and down the body side break. The hood was wetsanded/buffed on one side, but still didn`t hold up.

The truck gets a normal once a week (no more than 2) hand wash with a sheepskin mitt and Meguiar`s soap. Mainly waxed with Meg`s #26 or 16 depending on time available to me. I`ve never had durability issues with either of these waxes.

Don`t tell me its normal. I`ve got an `04 150 in the same color that will clearly prove otherwise. The trucks sit together and get the same treatment.

As I wetsanded you could see the etching/pitting get cut away. It looked "pitted" too, not just a "stain line".

Pics below speak for themselves. If ANYONE has seen anything like this on their truck, please speak up.

Link here: http://www.biggmatt.photosite.com/Album4/

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for fun, this is the hood of the 150...

I know its not a straight sun shot, but its representative in total because there is nearly NOTHING in terms of water spots on it...

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad`s 2003 or 4 Expy had the same acid rain marks. He has black, and it looks even worse. I polished it out for him last fathers day, got most of it out, but it was a nightmare. Came back pretty quick too. I will go out on a limb and predict that as the years go on, new car paint will continually have the same issues. The more restrictions on chemicals for paint manufacturers there are, the crappy the paint is getting.

Post Thanks / Like
    TTT anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am working on a Black BMW 530i with acid rain etching. What a chore! The trunk lid wasn`t as bad as the hood. For the trunk, I used 3000 grit and a Snap-On air orbital sander.

Followed that with 3M Extra Cut compound and their compounding foam pad.

The hood was the "monster" for me. I tried a test area with 3000 grit and it wasn`t strong enough. So, stepped to 2000 grit and that worked. The trick is to completely remove the 2000 grit sanding marks with compound. I don`t have body shop experience, so it was compound, then wash off the dust and check for leftover marks, compound some more and repeat. I tend to be very cautious when using 2000 grit and compounding heat, so the process for the hood took 3+ hours.

I thought I was all done with the hood (it looked great in the partially sunny day), so I bought the car in the shop and lit the halogens......and found some sanding marks I missed. I decided to try Optimum Hyper Cut on a 3M glaze pad and that worked fantastic! It removed the remaining marks completely, didn`t get the hood too hot from the rotary, and it`s ready for glaze and 3M Ultrafina.

Here`s the hood done:

I`d recommend you take the truck to someone that can safely remove acid rain etching. It`s definitely different from water spots (far deeper and requires a lot of work).

Toto
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like etching to me...not paint failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it`s still under warrenty I`d take it back and make Ford repaint it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Danase: I`d say the same...but etching does require a lot of careful sanding and compounding to remove.

Jakerooni: The BMW dealer that I work for says that most franchised dealers will recommend a repaint of the affected area.

If the truck still has warranty, that`s what I would do. The BMW was a big learning experience for me and I would not have tackled it without the "professor" helping me and showing me how to do this correction. It`s a lot of very careful work in sanding and compounding.

Toto
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Thread Information