Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, we all hear about and see the awesome detailing jobs we do, let`s switch it up a bit and post up some stories and pics of details gone bad. I`ll start.

Yesterday I was detailing a friends black Acura TSX, it was heavily swirled and in need of some rotary love. A LC CCS orange and HTHC/IP was my pad/product combo that worked the best for the task at hand. I started at the trunk and worked my way around the car clockwise. The last part I do when doing doors is the side skirt, which of course is plastic. I know how easy it is to burn the paint on plastic since I did so the very first time I worked with the rotary on my old car. That being said, I turned the speed down to the slowest possible and began to correct the skirt. I thought I was moving the machine fast enough to avoid damage when I noticed what looked like the polish gumming up. This is quite common when using HTHC so I didn`t worry about it, but when it kept coming I decided to inspect. My attempt to wipe off the polish with my finger brought me to the realization that I had burned the paint

My boy was extremely gracious about it, told me not to worry about it, in return I didn`t take his money for the detail and still offered to pay to have the skirt repainted which he refused.

This experience really affected me and my desire to continue with my detailing endeavors, I was extremely disappointed and seriously questioned my abilities, even contemplating giving it up. I realize i`m not the first and surely won`t be the last to do something like this, but I feel horrible about it.

I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    If we were all perfect , there`d be no need for insurance companies.

I know how you feel ,though. It`s tough to feel good about

helping someone out or building a reputation when something like

this happens....it shakes your confidence, too.

FWIW , it happens to EVERYONE sooner or later; just the

law of averages when you`re playing with tools.

The worst mistake I made so far was somehow managing to "separate"

the Bull badge from the hood of a Lamborghini Diablo. I was crapping my

pants until I found out that it wasn`t properly fastened following some body work.

It just as easily could have been my fault from carelessness , though.

Bullet dodged , but lesson learned....I`m much more careful now.

Do what you can to make amends , correct your technique and just move on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gusbubba
    If we were all perfect , there`d be no need for insurance companies.

I know how you feel ,though. It`s tough to feel good about

helping someone out or building a reputation when something like

this happens....it shakes your confidence, too.

FWIW , it happens to EVERYONE sooner or later; just the

law of averages when you`re playing with tools.

The worst mistake I made so far was somehow managing to "separate"

the Bull badge from the hood of a Lamborghini Diablo. I was crapping my

pants until I found out that it wasn`t properly fastened following some body work.

It just as easily could have been my fault from carelessness , though.

Bullet dodged , but lesson learned....I`m much more careful now.

Do what you can to make amends , correct your technique and just move on.
    Yeah, it definitely shook my confidence, hopefully it won`t do as much damage to my rep. I imagine not being able to get anymore work from anybody at my job now. I guess only time will tell.
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    Your reaction and attitude towards this incident shows that you

carry yourself conscientiously. I`m sure if I notice from this and

a handful of your other posts , then your co-workers are

aware of it , too. Mistakes happen. I`m sure you`ll be forgiven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes side skirts can be a problem. from my first mistake with that, I have made sure to switch to smaller pads and tape the area that you burnt in that pic before starting

It`s also good to open the door and buff the bottom away from the skirt. Might need something to keep it from moving as you polish but it has worked for me so far
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rkf76
    Alright, we all hear about and see the awesome detailing jobs we do, let`s switch it up a bit and post up some stories and pics of details gone bad. I`ll start.

Yesterday I was detailing a friends black Acura TSX, it was heavily swirled and in need of some rotary love. A LC CCS orange and HTHC/IP was my pad/product combo that worked the best for the task at hand. I started at the trunk and worked my way around the car clockwise. The last part I do when doing doors is the side skirt, which of course is plastic. I know how easy it is to burn the paint on plastic since I did so the very first time I worked with the rotary on my old car. That being said, I turned the speed down to the slowest possible and began to correct the skirt. I thought I was moving the machine fast enough to avoid damage when I noticed what looked like the polish gumming up. This is quite common when using HTHC so I didn`t worry about it, but when it kept coming I decided to inspect. My attempt to wipe off the polish with my finger brought me to the realization that I had burned the paint

My boy was extremely gracious about it, told me not to worry about it, in return I didn`t take his money for the detail and still offered to pay to have the skirt repainted which he refused.

This experience really affected me and my desire to continue with my detailing endeavors, I was extremely disappointed and seriously questioned my abilities, even contemplating giving it up. I realize i`m not the first and surely won`t be the last to do something like this, but I feel horrible about it.

Your story shows that you are a guy with great morals and work ethics. All the pics you`ve posted also show that you really care about your work and your customers. The fact that what happened bothers you proves it even more. You`re too talented to give it up, man.

Feel bad about it for a while, then crack your knuckles, throw a pad on the rotary, and get back to work!

I wouldn`t hesitate to pay you top dollar to work on my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Your story shows that you are a guy with great morals and work ethics. All the pics you`ve posted also show that you really care about your work and your customers. The fact that what happened bothers you proves it even more. You`re too talented to give it up, man.

Feel bad about it for a while, then crack your knuckles, throw a pad on the rotary, and get back to work!

I wouldn`t hesitate to pay you top dollar to work on my car.
    Wow, thanks alot for the kind words man, I appreciate it. I didn`t do any details this weekend as I had my mom`s college graduation to attend and also had alot of shopping to do for tools and clothes for my new job I start tomorrow, but I am gonna get crackin` again next weekend when I get busy on my car. I`ll definitely post up some pics of before and after too so we can see if there`s any noticeable difference once i`m done. I really need to get through my car with the rotary problem free in order to regain my confidence so this is gonna be a huge test. Wish me luck :nervous:
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Thread Information