Post Thanks / Like
    Despite having more layers of EX-P than I care to remember, Bird "deposits" are still damaging my clear coat.

I don`t know whether the BMW clear is somewhat softer than other paints or what, but surely this shouldnt happen after such a short period of time.

Are there any sealants / waxes etc.. which have a higher resistance to bird "deposits"

Thanks in Advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    If bird dropping are able to etch through your hard clear coat, imagine what they can do to a micro thin layer of wax or sealant. Not much you can do about it except be more diligent in removing them as fast as you can or keep the car covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t found EX-P to be one of the better-protecting products (YMMV). You might try a heavy carnauba like #16, 476S, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t had any problem with my LSP by bird dropping damage even when paint is exposed to 6-8 hrs in the Virginia sun (DD`s). Damaging effects are probably directly related to their diet. I remember Sea Gull and Pigeon droppings in New England to be very damaging and they had deadly aims for clean vehicles and convertibles.

Fortunately, we have neither here.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had EX-P on my father`s X5, it got etched twice with bird bombs within the first two weeks of applying the EX-P. I never got that with any other LSP, and to date those are the only etchings on the car. I have gotten very nice protection out of Werkstatt and Collinite 845.

Post Thanks / Like
    845 has been able to withstand the seagulls here in New York. Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its strange, I`ve gotten etching with sealants but not with carnauba. There has to be some reasoning behind that?

Post Thanks / Like
    BMW paint sucks, I have had the same happen to me with my BMW, even though I cleaned up the dropping within hours and had all thbe sealant in the world on there. I have even had water spots from regular rain left on the car for a couple of hours in the sun, it produced waterspots so bad that even the orbital and polish couldn`t remove them. On the other hand I have not had these problems on Cadillac or Mercedes paint. It`s the weak paint on BMWs, sorry for the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Its strange, I`ve gotten etching with sealants but not with carnauba. There has to be some reasoning behind that?
    Thick carnauba`s give much greater protection but sealants give better durability
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky

There is a bit of a belief among people that carnaubas are better able to protect against conditions like bird droppings, bug splatters, etc... what I mean by protect is resistance to being eaten themselves (they can hold out longer than sealants)

However, its a topic of some heated debate so tread carefully

(I am one of those who believes a carnauba is better at protecting from environmental conditions like what we`re discussing in this thread. In addition... I`m not sure if its just the particular type of rain, but my car has shockingly stayed clean through the wet roads of the past couple of weeks. Back when I just used sealant there`d be nasty rain water spots all over the side... I`m not sure what conclusion to make!)

Post Thanks / Like
    :werd:

Quote Originally Posted by blkZ28Conv
    I haven`t had any problem with my LSP by bird dropping damage even when paint is exposed to 6-8 hrs in the Virginia sun (DD`s). Damaging effects are probably directly related to their diet. I remember Sea Gull and Pigeon droppings in New England to be very damaging and they had deadly aims for clean vehicles and convertibles.

Fortunately, we have neither here.

HAHA i agree with you 100% (live in boston = many seagulls hangin out in apartment trash dumpsters)

for some reason, my car is the only car on the block that gets bombed on a weekly basis!!!!

is this due to the fact i wax my car every 2-3 weeks?..i dont get it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Trust me on this one. Try Collinite 845. It will laugh at the birds. Also, 845 looks really really good. The look will last for a looooong time. Try it. You won`t be sorry.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34
    There is a bit of a belief among people that carnaubas are better able to protect against conditions like bird droppings, bug splatters, etc... what I mean by protect is resistance to being eaten themselves (they can hold out longer than sealants)

However, its a topic of some heated debate so tread carefully

(I am one of those who believes a carnauba is better at protecting from environmental conditions like what we`re discussing in this thread. In addition... I`m not sure if its just the particular type of rain, but my car has shockingly stayed clean through the wet roads of the past couple of weeks. Back when I just used sealant there`d be nasty rain water spots all over the side... I`m not sure what conclusion to make!)
    :werd:

Like a lot of detailing topics this one is hotly debated. I 100% agree with you though that caranauba while not as long lasting as a sealant provides better protection.

There are a lot of factors that come into play with why a bird dropping etches or not. How acidic the dropping was, how hot of a day, how long it sat on the paint, how much protection was on the paint, what kind of protection, hardness/softness of the paint are all factors that contribute.

Luckily, I don`t seem to encounter too many bird bombs that are acidic enough to etch.

Post Thanks / Like
    The seagulls are eating our leftover junk food that we throw away. The ones around here stake out the Dunkin Donuts garbage cans in my neighborhood lol They are enormous and the droppings they leave are huge, I actually thought someone had thrown a small rock onto my roof while I was driving!

845 has really done a good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think KAIOx2 and 845x2 will do the job of protecting your CC
    Owner of Major Auto Works. Serving the eastern half of Puerto Rico :xyxthumbs

Thread Information