Post Thanks / Like
    I recently applied WheelWax to both my vehicles clear-coated silver rims. I haven`t applied a second coat to the fronts -- as suggested on the tub. Thus far, I`m not all that impressed with the product. I still get lots of brake dust, and you have to scrub to get it off (it doesn`t simply spray off with water as expected). I`m also using EO All Wheel & Tire. Does this remove the wax? Does using a strong wheel cleaner defeat the purpose of waxing the rims?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, using a wheel cleaner will remove the product... Try using something like Zaino or Klasse SG. I`m sure wheel wax is fine too. Most wheel products like wheelwax will not clean with just a simple spray of water, but will clean a lot easier with a simple wash mitt and car wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have KAIO on my wheels, and when I need to clean them now, I just use a QD, and everything just comes right off.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, if you use a strong wheel clean you could possibly take the protectant off the wheel. If you clean the wheels up real nice to your likings, and apply a protectant you should be fine. Just stay ontop of cleaning or you could get some bad build up but the protectant will deffinately go a long way.

Depending on the wheels condition you might want to consider get some Meguiars Wheel Brightener and dilute it 4:1. This is some amazing stuff! If you have any defects in the clearcoat then I would not use this on your silver painted wheels. It could do some damage to the painted part. But, I would not use this stuff but the first time to clean then, then protect then, and stay ontop of maintenance so you don`t have that problem again. Any paint sealant/wax will work for the most part but I`m partial to using wax on the wheels. I prefer a sealant.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, using a strong wheel cleaner will remove most or all of any wax or sealant you are using on the wheels. Any wheel cleaner you wouldn`t feel safe touching your paint, are harsh on wheel finishes too...it will eat off the brake dust and grime, but also your protection.
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks -- this is what I was thinking. I guess I will clean, and apply another coat of WheelWax. Then, I will take it easy on the cleaner. They come clean easily now -- with a little rubbing, but my Mariner wheels are a real pain to clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. What you`ll want to do is to use the strong wheel cleaner every once in a while... apply the Wheel wax, and then from then on, use regular soap/water.

Then maybe every few months start the whole thing over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34
    Yes. What you`ll want to do is to use the strong wheel cleaner every once in a while... apply the Wheel wax, and then from then on, use regular soap/water.

Then maybe every few months start the whole thing over.

This is my method also except I use a sealant not Wheel Wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShineMGood
    This is my method also except I use a sealant not Wheel Wax.

Yep. I use AquaWax myself - mostly because I refuse to believe in something like Wheel Wax (flame suit on :nervous

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried Wheel Wax too, not impressed either. I get better looking results with a lot less work just doing AW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man -- I could have bought almost 3 AW now for the price I paid for WheelWax

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain! But, it`s all part of the detailing experience. I`m a lot more leery or stingy with my money now that I`ve spent a wad on stuff that gave marginal results.

Thread Information