Post Thanks / Like
    Well im trying to find out what degreaser to get for my engine bay and for the stubborn brake dust areas on my wheels and the wheel wells. Id also be using on various other places around the car that may need it, so basically what im wanting is a good all purpose cleaner. What would be good to use? Id like something that i can get over the counter.
    1998 Trans Am convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    I like ZEP citrus degreaser a lot, you can get it at Home Depot. It works great, doesn`t smell too bad and doesn`t dry out your hands. I decided to try it after reading about it in Justin`s threads and love it so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 303`s APC in various dilutions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil Eater from Costco has been outstanding for me so far. I tried it on tires and it actually oozed brown gunk.....akin to stories I hear about Top of the Line tire cleaner. It`s a must for MF towels too without the need for a vinegar rinse or whatnot. It`s better than Dawn or any Tide detergent I`ve tried.....even citrus (acid) degreasers for washing MF towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple Green - I sometimes like to presoak very dirty wheels with simple green before I scrub them
    03 Platinum Gray VW Jetta

Mobile Detailer in Seattle

Post Thanks / Like
    For the engine any good apc will do the trick for the most part depending on how dirty it is of course and how detailed of a job you want to do. As for the break dust, EO All Wheel and Tire Cleaner is a pretty good product that you can get OTC. To help aide in the brake dust problem I would polish the wheels and use a sealant on them to help with cleanup later. A sealant on the wheels helps a bunch. Once the sealant is on there and you stay on top of cleaning them just car wash soap and a dedicated rag will take care of it with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently use Simple Green or Greased Lighting BLAST. Both readily available at local stores.

But by reading Justin`s Click & Brags, I think I am going to pick up ZEP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heard/seen Zep products but haven`t used any yet. Probable will try them as well and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
    I like ZEP citrus degreaser a lot, you can get it at Home Depot. It works great, doesn`t smell too bad and doesn`t dry out your hands. I decided to try it after reading about it in Justin`s threads and love it so far.
    how much do i dulite it for everything?
    1998 Trans Am convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    I second Simple Green.

I use 1:1 (Water:S.G.) for nasty places and 10:1 for lower body panels and whatnot.

I also wash MF`s and buffer pads in it, they come better after washing with S.G. than they do with any laundry detergent.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Meg`s APC. I keep a spray bottle of the heavy dilution for use in the engine bay, and monthly duty in the wheel wells.

I don`t use it on the tires or wheels specifically, although I have used it on my bicycle with outstanding results (yes, the tires did ooze brown).

The medium dilution I use for the interior every once in a while to get a "fresh" start before putting more 303 on.

Plus, the dilution ratios are so great, that a gallon will last you a very long time - its a great value (pretty cheap for the gallon!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk
    how much do i dulite it for everything?

Haven`t been using it that long but it works great cut 1:1 with water on engine bays and wheels. Also works great it you add 1 cup per gallon to your wash solution if the vehicle is really nasty.

Thread Information