Post Thanks / Like
    Newbie here. Did a couple of searches, but didn`t quite find what I was looking for.

I have a set of Porsche wheels that have seen better days and I would like to know how to polish them properly. I am looking for a beautiful mirror shine. Please teach me.

FWIW They should be relatively easy to polish as they are very flat (928S4) and yes , I have some time on my hands.

Thank you.

-Meek

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump for help...

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the current quality of the rims but I use a good wheel cleaner (many good products can be found at auto stores) and then Klasse AIO to polish with Klasse SG to seal them. I also use a wheel wax on one of my cars and it makes removing the brake dust very easy. If your rims are pitted, scarred, oxidized....you will need a very different technique.

Can you post pics of the rims?

Post Thanks / Like
    What are they. Chrome, Aluminum, etc. More details ....

Post Thanks / Like
    They are forged aluminum. 2 are perfect w/ factory clearcoat. 1 is almost perfect with factory clearcoat but has a very little bit of curbrash on it. The last one is missing some clearcoat and thus has a little pitting on it, but to my untrained eye doesn`t look deep at all. I`ll see if I can find a camera to post pics. Thoughts on the process.

I`ve read elsewhere:

1. I need aircraft cleaner to strip the clearcoat

2. Use 100 grit sandpaper (by hand-no machines, literally?)

3. Use 200

4. Use 400 dipped in water (wet)

5. Use 1000 wet

6. Use 2000 wet

7. Then maybe(?) put something on as a sealer/protectant

Does this sound right? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    If it has clearcoat on it....they should be pretty damm good a already. Have you tried taking a light polish meant for paint to the clearcoat. When you state clearcoat, are we talking centers only or the outer halves.

If the outer halves are not clearcoated.....I found a new favorite metal polish called Heavy Metal Polish . But this would only be for NON clearcoated metal.

And yes, rash can wetsanded down and then buffed back up again, but your wheels are clearcoated......bear in mind the maintenance once you take the clear off, is totally much more than clearcoated wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    How would I restore the 4th wheel that is missing half of its clearcoat? The wheel is dubbed in German `Manholecover` and looks like a manholecover so there is a lot of real estate to cover though it is flat. Wheels look like these: Photo de Porsche /photos/928/81_928.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    DIY ? I`m not the guru on removing clear, but I guess you could wetsand the other half down, and then use metal polish . If it was me, I would just send it out to get powdercoated clear ........but here is a link go get the clearcoat spray

Support our board founder

Wurth High Gloss Clear Lacquer

The metal polish that I`ve played with a lil bit, but can tell it would be my go to polish out of all of them on my shelf is here Impressive Reflections - Heavy Metal Polish

Thread Information