Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking about buying one and practicing on a scrap body panel and wondering are they that dangerous to burn through paint.

From what I have learnt tell me if this is right,

#1 Keep them always moving and never let them sit on one spot of they will generate too much heat and burn thru paint.

#2 Start at around 1000rpm and don`t push it past 1500rpm.

#3 Don`t work too fast or you will get many buffer swirl marks but don`t work too slow so you don`t generate too much heat. Just nice even movement.

I work at a carwash and have seen them used and have tried it once or twice at low speeds and they don`t seem that dangerous.

I have been using a RO but found it useless so will be buying a PC next 2-3weeks and get few months practice with that then later this year buy rotary.

I mainly want to start using one to get better results and the work alot faster. Random Orbitals do a good job but just are way to slow to do a whole car.

Any advice will mean alot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Skip the PC and just get a rotary with a nice set of pads. I prefer smaller 6" pads versus 7.5" pads on the rotary, seems I can do a cleaner job and get in tighter places with the 6"

There`s nothing to be afraid of with a rotary, just take your time and be extra careful around plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am thinking of that seeing as I have been working part time at car wash for 1yr and seen these rotarys used all the time, even through I am still new to random orbitals I know how they work and how rotarys work.

But one thing is when it comes to working on 1-2yr old cars or even just 6month old cars with swirls or cobwebbing is the rotary overkill or is it just a quicker process than Random Orbital.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what an idiot with a rotary did to my car at a bodyshop last week. Then again, maybe he used a grinding wheel. :think:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO rotaries are safe in the right hands. If you have the requisite knowledge base and the proper temperament/frame of mind, then you can probably take it right out of the box and use it on your best car without damaging anything (whether you`ll get a perfect, hologram-free finish is another matter ).

But that "requisite knowledge base" includes a *lot* of stuff...like how heat affects different things, how different surfaces react to abrasion, how products break down, etc., etc. And if you let your mind wander or otherwise make a mistake then things can go wrong in a hurry and you`ll be calling your favorite paint shop.

I hadn`t used a rotary in over 20 years and had *never* used one on b/c paint. Yet I took the Makita out of the box and used it (somewhat aggressively) on my beloved S8 without any problems. But that`s *me*.

Thread Information