Post Thanks / Like
    Help! :sadpace:

I was reading through my owner`s manual for my 2006 Chrysler Seabring Touring recently, and it stated I should apply Scotchgard to my top to help maintain it from the elements. Well, I applied it Saturday, and it has COMPLETELY discolored the top...it looks absolutely horrible :sadpace:

Does anyone know ANYTHING that will remove this stuff? I should have done more research before hand, but it`s a bit late for that now.

Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like
    strange, I`ve never had issues. Is the dis-coloration dust or something else. I assume the top was clean/dry when you applied it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    strange, I`ve never had issues. Is the dis-coloration dust or something else. I assume the top was clean/dry when you applied it?

Yes, it was clean, dry and in the shade. It was about 75-76 degress (F) outside, and no wind.

I don`t get it at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Just talked to a Q.A. rep at 3M....apparently they are trying to get their name brand (ScotchGard) pulled from Daimler-Chrysler`s manuals, as they`ve had instances of this before

Now I`m just waiting to hear back from the manufacturer of the TwillFast top (Haartz) to see if they are aware of any issues or know how to get this stuff out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t Haartz recommend the Raggtop brand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup...and I did not realize this at first

The Chrysler manual specifically states to use ScotchGardâ„¢, so I did, and it was a booboo I won`t make again. You can find the manual here. Select 2006, Seabring Convertible.

I spoke with a rep @ Haartz, and I cannot use alcohol on the top as it could permanently damage it. So, I can either use a non-detergent dishsoap and scrub, or try the Raggtopp cleaner, which I think I`ll try the latter.

Oy vey...such an ordeal...starting to wonder if it was worth this headache....then again....I should have done more research before just jumping in as well.

Thanks for the efforts

Post Thanks / Like
    i just treated the top on my new corvette convertible. i have always used RAGG TOPP on my other vettes. my car is new and i used their cleaner with a VERY soft brush to agitate. you would not believe the dirt that came out of this top. it`s a very good cleaner. perhaps you can use a couple of applications to clean the scotchguard off or at least break it down.

remember that even the ragg topp protectant changes the color of the material until it is completely dry (24-48 hours) unless you leave it out in the sun. good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve also tried the PORSCHE shampoo and fabric protectant. Both worked well, soap appears gentle.

Thread Information