Thread: Car shows

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey yall. Sorry for my absence over the last several months, I`ve just been slammed with work and moving.

Anyways, I went to the local big time car show (about 1000 cars) a couple weeks ago and was appalled at the condition of the paint on these vehicels. I found one dark colored car that was 95% swirl free - all the others were not good to say the least. Shoot, I have customers have daily drivers in better condition (swirl-wise) than nearly all the vehicles at the show.

Kinda sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sucks. Were you able to attract new customers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, but it is great to pass out cards and talk to people, even if you get one detail from it, it was worth it.

Andrew
    "Treat every car as if it was your own"

-Every Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    I find the same up here. It is really disappointing when you look at a bunch of cars and maybe 1 or maybe 2 are swirl free-and they all should be. I guess the judges do not deduct for it or are unknowledgable in this regard. I heard the same thing is true at auctions like Barrett Jackson although I have never been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually around here the judges do deduct for it ... BUT if the rest of the car is stellar then the 2 or 3 point deduction doesn`t hurt it too badly (on a 100 point scale)

We have far far too many Trailer Queens that come out of the trailer and QD`d for the show and put right back in ... One that I know of has been on the show circuit since 2000 and NEVER EVER waxed... It has swirls from the constant QD use but it still brings home trophies on a near constant basis ... In all those years the Odometer is showing 5 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t this just point out how clueless the world is about swirls? If the show car owners and judges are clueless (for the most part)? It shouldn`t be any surprise that the general public doesn`t care when show car owners and judges aren`t even educated about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    Shoot, I have customers have daily drivers in better condition (swirl-wise) than nearly all the vehicles at the show.

Yeah, but those cars that never get washed, never get swirled! :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, a bunch of really good comments from all here...

Actually, I didn`t even bring any cards if you can believe it. In the course of conversation I wrote down my info for two people who swore on their mother`s grave they`d be calling me...but true to form, I never got a call. I find that for every 10 people that request my info, only 2 or 3 actually follow up and book a detail...just the way it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny that this topic came up.. I was thinking the other day while working on my Jeep how fun it would be to be one of those judges and judge them on the condition of their paint. Thats something that no one ever notices or even knows exists. Some people believe that those are normal..

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn`t believe the condition of the paint at the first car show I ever went to! There were only about 3 cars that weren`t obviously swirled. One was my friend`s Viper, and another friends yellow Porsche. The black cars were especially bad though, I can`t believe they show their cars in that condition. Goes to show how many of them actually know anything about cars in general. The point of that hobby is to know what you`re doing, and if someone doesn`t know something as simple as "you don`t want swirls in your paint" then that tells me that they`re doing it simply because they can afford it.
    metload1

Post Thanks / Like
    hey up until recently i thought i had a kickass shine on my car, but from what i learned from this site and others like it i was sadly mistaken. i`ve learned so much from you guys and i`ve been detailing cars for forty years. can`t thank you all enough. :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blucpe
    hey up until recently i thought i had a kickass shine on my car, but from what i learned from this site and others like it i was sadly mistaken. i`ve learned so much from you guys and i`ve been detailing cars for forty years. can`t thank you all enough. :heelclick

Yeah, this site is definitely a great place to be. I`ve learned pretty much everything here too. One thing you`ll notice while being on this site is the general decency displayed by the members. I`ve seen some really controversial things discussed here and they have stayed civil and each member tends to show respect to other members. That`s not something you`ll find at other boards. I used to frequent another board on another topic, but it got so political (not like government politics but agenda stuff) that I stopped going there.

This site is a refreshing change from that one!
    metload1

Post Thanks / Like
    allot of the "show cars" that I see that are swirled up are usually the ones that either say "water never touches it" or they dry dust it with a little over the counter detail spray over and over and over.

I was watching a video last night from the oakland roadster show and noticed that the really high end cars were being polished (rotary and d/a) as soon as they came out of the trailers.

Thread Information