Post Thanks / Like
    I searched but couldnt find anything that will help me out. My dad decided to take his Lincoln Navigator to some, "mickey mouse" body shop to get repainted. They did a mediocre job, but did not buff it. The car has hazing, and holograms all over the fresh paint. It has been over 2 weeks now and the guy now wants to charge my dad $300 more to finish it off.. I have a pc, but I think I will have to use a rotary. My dad has a makita rotary he used for sanding, and I can use it as a polisher, but I have never done this before, especially on new paint. How should I go about doing this? What products/techniques should I use with new paint without burning it off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tsxmike
    They did a mediocre job, but did not buff it. The car has hazing, and holograms all over the fresh paint.

You kinda contridicted yourself. If they didn`t buff it, how are there holograms? What ever process you choose, test out a very inconspicuous area 1st. I`d personally take the truck back to the shop and demand satisfaction or tell them you`ll take them to court for ruining their paint work.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    One more bit; unless your dad`s rotary Makita has variable speed, it`s really isn`t appropriate for buffing cars. Be sure to check that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry I didnt meant to contradict myself, I cant really explain it but the paint looks dull and has no protection on the clearcoat. I am not really sure how the process goes after a paint job, but I spoke(argued:argue ) with the guy since my dad is not very fluent in English and he said that all it need is buffing and he said it costs more money to finish the job, and yes this is the owner himself. I told my dad not to take it there but he is very impulsive, now he is repenting, since he has seen how I take care of my car, now he has asked for my help in finishin up the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures will help us plan your attack on repairing/finishing your paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by velobard
    One more bit; unless your dad`s rotary Makita has variable speed, it`s really isn`t appropriate for buffing cars. Be sure to check that out.

yes its a makita 9227c

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Pictures will help us plan your attack on repairing/finishing your paint.

yes thank you. i will take some during lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    A PC can take out holograms and hazing... Those fools probably just used a wool pad and compound to follow up the sanding after the repaint...

If you want, and still live in Miami, you can try and bring it by my place and work on it... I have the same Makita and I can sort of guide you on it so that you don`t majorly "F" up and then you can just follow it up with the PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t realize you were in Florida. What shop painted it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure where he took it, but he told me about this place when I crashed my old car, its some warehouse near opa locka air port. Thank god I didnt take it there.

Here are some of the pictures...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...that is one very poor paint job...I don`t believe that can be repaired with polishing so easily. It`s seems like its like orange peel (though that car does not look like it has any, just very dull), it would need extensive wetsanding.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I am not the most experienced member here.
    Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    It takes a special kind of person to be capable of a paint job that looks like that and then charge someone for the results.

Thread Information