Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    No pics for this, it wont show up on camera.

I picked up my truck from the bodyshop last night after 1month of waiting. I looked over the truck and it looked fantastic, no overspray, clean as a pin, he washed it with the wash mitt I gave him, the whole 9yards. I am getting happy at this point b/c the truck looks so good, but I look after the guy dries the truck with my WW, and my paint is spotted. It looks like leapard skin paint. (not quite, but you get the pic). I asked him about it, and he said "I`m not gonna lie, I dont like that, but I wanted to see what you said about it and see if you wanted it redone" I ofcouse said yes. He says the problem with this is that the mettalics in the paint clumped together on the truck creating darker/lighter spots in the paint. He says he can fix it ( I belive him b/c this guy is good). He says hes gonna have to "drop spray" the truck. Shoot the paint at 8psi instead of the normal 30psi and go super super slow to help avoid the spotting. I`m taking it back to him next week.

Have any of yall ever heard of anything like this, mettalics being hard to paint, or drop spraying paint?
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blending metallics can be tricky when compared to blending solid colors, alot of factors like the pressure/amount of material sprayed, the distance between the gun and the car, temperature etc all make a difference. Is it a small area that is being sprayed? Generally if it is a large area, i.e door or rear quarter panel they will normally wetsand the whole side of the car and paint over it so that the match looks even.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    My paint is spotted. It looks like leapard skin paint. (not quite, but you get the pic). I asked him about it, and he said "I`m not gonna lie, I dont like that, but I wanted to see what you said about it and see if you wanted it redone" I ofcouse said yes. He says the problem with this is that the mettalics in the paint clumped together on the truck creating darker/lighter spots in the paint. He says he can fix it ( I belive him b/c this guy is good).

No offense, but if he was that good, it wouldn`t have happened in the 1st place and he wouldn`t risk delivering a defective product to see if you wouldn`t notice it. Be leary and watchful.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah, it`s a whole bed, both sides.
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    At this point I have to wonder what you`re using as a basis for your statement that he`s "good".

I also have a warranty issue with a paint job that was done a few months ago. This week I stopped by the shop and the guy agreed he`d fix it (it`s peeling at the masking line around the door janbs). I hate having to go back for warranty work on this sort of thing because it leaves me nervous that they`ll just screw up that or something else again. I`ve sent my car back for runs, see-through spots, and solvent pop. The sad thing is, that`s just in the past year. Yes, I found a better body shop now, a small one-man custom shop. I`m just stuck going back to this other one for the previous work unless I want to pay for it out of my pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    No offense, but if he was that good, it wouldn`t have happened in the 1st place and he wouldn`t risk delivering a defective product to see if you wouldn`t notice it. Be leary and watchful.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Post Thanks / Like
    He is good for a couple of reasons. He took care of my car, made sure no overspray made it to the other parts of the truck, went out of his way to repaint my rear-door jambs that didnt need repainting, matched the orange peel to the rest of the truck perfectly, cleaned my truck *my way* when he was done. Yes, he should have fixed it before I took delivery, but I was naggin him to get it done, so that`s what he did.

I did not start a thread about my body guy, I started it about paint problems and what is drop spraying. Stay on topic fellas
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as he is willing to try and match the paint is what counts. As i said earlier blending metallic paint is not the easiet thing to do, ur lukcy you dont have candy paint on that truck. There is no "blending" or touch up for those paints...a whole repaint!

Let us know how it turns out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster_Tx
    ur lukcy you dont have candy paint on that truck. There is no "blending" or touch up for those paints...a whole repaint!

That`s the furthest statement from the truth there is!! :nono All paint types can be blended.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might check out this as a resource:

Auto Body and Paint Tips, Techniques, and Information

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s the furthest statement from the truth there is!! :nono All paint types can be blended.

he`s correct it`s just harder and a longer process since it`s a tricoat or more. I have never ever painted anything at 8psi but I don`t think it will atomize correctly. But since he said he is able to fix it let him try and see what happens. imo i don`t think the paint should have turned out blouchy if he did everything correctly. Sounds like maybe not properly cleaned surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Except candy, there are too many things you have to factor in when it comes to that type of candy paint. Unlike regualr paint, its just not Base Coast/Clear coat , you have

the base

the Transparent Color(candy)

the clear

The number of layers of the transparent candy.

the distance of the gun to the paint.

Also when doing a candy paint job you have to "walk" the car meaning if you being on one side you walk all the way to the other end if not there will be areas where the candy is going to be darker/ lighter.

Also, car from the factor do no come with candy paint, they have to be custom painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster_Tx
    Except candy, there are too many things you have to factor in when it comes to that type of candy paint. Unlike regualr paint, its just not Base Coast/Clear coat , you have

the base

the Transparent Color(candy)

the clear

The number of layers of the transparent candy.

the distance of the gun to the paint.

Also when doing a candy paint job you have to "walk" the car meaning if you being on one side you walk all the way to the other end if not there will be areas where the candy is going to be darker/ lighter.

Also, car from the factor do no come with candy paint, they have to be custom painted.

Candy, which is very similar to pearl, can and does get blended. I`ve adjusted for it plenty of times and it gets done properly no problem. Depending on where the area of repair is and the type of vehicle it is, you might have to blend out further than mainstream colors, but in no way does the entire vehicle require repainting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    He is good for a couple of reasons. He took care of my car, made sure no overspray made it to the other parts of the truck, went out of his way to repaint my rear-door jambs that didnt need repainting, matched the orange peel to the rest of the truck perfectly, cleaned my truck *my way* when he was done. Yes, he should have fixed it before I took delivery, but I was naggin him to get it done, so that`s what he did.

I did not start a thread about my body guy, I started it about paint problems and what is drop spraying. Stay on topic fellas

I also agree he shouldn`t have tryed to deliver your vehicle with paint flaws, drop spraying or applying a drop coat is used on the last coat to help metallic layout evenly if applied correctly it will get rid of any mottle that`s what your seeing uneven metallic but from experience a drop coat at 8psi sounds a little low the paint will come out in big drops which you don`t want on the last coat you should lower your air pressure and spray at an angle which will help the metallic to lay evenly

by the way what kind of paint are they using I`ve found that in my experience PPG global had the worst problem in mottle I`m using Glasurit IMO the best
    I`ve been in the automotive industry for 15 years, and a automotive painter for 12 years. I enjoy what I do

Post Thanks / Like
    Candy, which is very similar to pearl, can and does get blended. I`ve adjusted for it plenty of times and it gets done properly no problem. Depending on where the area of repair is and the type of vehicle it is, you might have to blend out further than mainstream colors, but in no way does the entire vehicle require repainting.

If I may ask, how is candy similar to pearl? Pearl is something that either comes added with the paint or you mix it with the interclear and spray it. But candy on the other hand has multiple layers of transparent color i.e the candy concentrate mixed in with the interclear. I agree with you on this regarding pearl but as far as candy goes, especially if it is a darker color (candy apple red, or cobalt blue for example) to be honest with you, ive never seen it blended to perfection. Pearl? Yes, Flakes? Yes, but not candy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information