I have never applied touch-up paint before and since I couldn`t find any good, specific instructions anywhere else, I figured I would come to you guys for advice.

My wife`s 2005 Magnesium Metallic Honda Civic got a nasty rock chip on the front edge of the hood. It`s about the size of a pencil eraser and it got right down to the metal (it has already started to rust, too). The paint around the outside of the chip isn`t broken cleanly and I want to get this fixed ASAP.

I have ordered the following from Paintscratch.com:

- Primer with brush in cap

- Basecoat, same

- Clearcoat, same

- Tack cloth, just in case

I plan to tackle the project in this order -

1. Sand the area (400-600 grit) to accomplish two things - to get the rust off of the bare metal that has been exposed, and to scuff/get the unevenness out of the surrounding paint.

2. Apply the primer to the bare metal area, allow a few hours to dry, sand to level it out, then apply another layer, let dry, and sand again.

3. Apply basecoat, blending it in to the surrounding area very carefully and allow to dry for 24 hours. Wet-sand with probably 1500 grit to ensure evenness, and repeat one more time.

4. Apply clearcoat, blending a tiny bit further out than the basecoat - allow 24 hours to dry, wetsand, repeat once.

5. Use 3m rubbing compound to remove wetsanding marks by hand (again, this is a small area), then use Scratch-X to polish out any remaining marring. Allow 30 days to cure then apply wax and move on with life.

What do you think of the process? Am I missing anything here? Thanks for reading and for any advice that you are able to give!

Alex