Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any input for taking photos? How to get the close-up shots of the marring before and after? Any certain lighting or angles? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of tips have been posted over the years. Direct sunlight (in the picture/reflection) allows for pretty good before and after pictures, as do halogen worklights and xenon spotlights.

Post Thanks / Like
    there is a book called `how to photograph cars`

it will give you plenty of insight, teach you how to make your abilities as a detailer get sold. poor photography means you`re a poor detailer. having the proper skills (proof of how good you are) will really sell your services.

good luck, the book did wonders for me.

if you don`t want to buy the book....

1.always take pictures with the sun behind you

2. always keep the windows fully up or fully down

3. always keep the wheels straight

go buy the book, i could do this all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx. for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    To show marring or swirls, have the camera focus on the paint and not the reflection...I usually put a piece of tape or my finger on the paint to help focus on the paint and not the reflection. Make sure to do it for both the before and after shots if you are trying to show swirls/marring removal.

Play with the exposure to get the best shot...sometime you have to bump the exposure up a few steps with the afters because there isn`t as much light being reflected back.

For before and afters try to use the same angle and light....I understand it`s not possible all the time, but nothing worse to me then seeing all the befores in the worst light and angles, then all the afters are shade "beauty" shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry i`m dumb. LOL. What do you mean bump up the exposure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Bad81Bu
    Sorry i`m dumb. LOL. What do you mean bump up the exposure?

It allows more light in the camera by slowing down the shutter speed...the location of the exposure setting depends on the camera, but is usually a + or - 0 and you can change it 2 to 3 steps, either way, to increase (+) or decrease (-) the amount of light the camera lets in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by serge03
    there is a book called `how to photograph cars`

it will give you plenty of insight, teach you how to make your abilities as a detailer get sold. poor photography means you`re a poor detailer. having the proper skills (proof of how good you are) will really sell your services.

good luck, the book did wonders for me.

if you don`t want to buy the book....

1.always take pictures with the sun behind you

2. always keep the windows fully up or fully down

3. always keep the wheels straight

go buy the book, i could do this all day.

The OP is asking how to take before/after detail photos. You know, like you see posted on this site. Those swirl / no swirl close ups are the exact opposite of good photographic technique.

Automobile photography is normally done during the "golden hour" (1 hour after sunrise and 1 hour before sunset). Soft shadows, indirect lighting etc. This is what you see in car magazines.

Swirl shots are done at high noon in blazing sun or artifical light. I can`t bring myself to do those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STG
    The OP is asking how to take before/after detail photos. You know, like you see posted on this site. Those swirl / no swirl close ups are the exact opposite of good photographic technique.

Automobile photography is normally done during the "golden hour" (1 hour after sunrise and 1 hour before sunset). Soft shadows, indirect lighting etc. This is what you see in car magazines.

Swirl shots are done at high noon in blazing sun or artifical light. I can`t bring myself to do those.

For my silver paint the only time I can see the swirls THE BEST is 1 hour before sunset, at just the right angle.

With the sun directly on it, all I can see is, well, the sun, reflecting in my paint. But I do have some swirling.

Post Thanks / Like
    So with the halogens on it stand behind the halogens (seems like this is how you see all the swirls) and shoot it?

Post Thanks / Like
    wheels always straight? I don`t agree.

Slight overcast and just before sunset seems to be when I get the best looking photos of my car that show wetness/gloss/depth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Bad81Bu
    So with the halogens on it stand behind the halogens (seems like this is how you see all the swirls) and shoot it?

I usually shoot from the side and get the reflection of the light;

In the pic below I turned the light slightlyto the right so it angles into the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STG

I was thinking the same thing. I take photos of cars to show them at their best not to highlight the imperfections. This is a detailing forum though so it is understandable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW335i
    For my silver paint the only time I can see the swirls THE BEST is 1 hour before sunset, at just the right angle.

With the sun directly on it, all I can see is, well, the sun, reflecting in my paint. But I do have some swirling.

Pardon my broken-record But you can duplicate that lighting effect with an incandescent in an otherwise dark shop if you play around with it long enough.

But taking good before/after pics is tricky! I`ve played around with it a little bit (gee, maybe someday I`ll actually do a C&B ) and it`s not as easy as one might expect and I`ve been into photography for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry, i didnt read the OPs thoughts before i replied. check out the book anyway, it`s amazing what you can learn for $15!

Thread Information