Post Thanks / Like
    I discovered this forum a while ago and have been reading up on all the tutorials and have learned quite a bit doing so, but I have not seen anything about caring the for the clear plastic that protects all the instrumentation.

I have an `06 WRX and the cover for my speedometer and such is made of plastic. Like any car it is highly prone to scratching. I haven`t found a good way to clean and protect this delicate plastic. I`ve wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and I have started to notice swirls. What does everyone do for this?

Also i am looking to switch plastic/vinyl protectants. I have been using Lexol Vinylex, but I think there might be somehting better out there. I want something without a smell, and leaves a nice satin shine. I have had my eye on Sonus Cockpit Detailer because of it`s anti static feature and UV protection that lasts. The product I use now leaves my dash very staticly charged. When wiping with a microfiber cloth I can hear the electric crackling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFox
    I discovered this forum a while ago and have been reading up on all the tutorials and have learned quite a bit doing so, but I have not seen anything about caring the for the clear plastic that protects all the instrumentation.

I have an `06 WRX and the cover for my speedometer and such is made of plastic. Like any car it is highly prone to scratching. I haven`t found a good way to clean and protect this delicate plastic. I`ve wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and I have started to notice swirls. What does everyone do for this?

Also i am looking to switch plastic/vinyl protectants. I have been using Lexol Vinylex, but I think there might be somehting better out there. I want something without a smell, and leaves a nice satin shine. I have had my eye on Sonus Cockpit Detailer because of it`s anti static feature and UV protection that lasts. The product I use now leaves my dash very staticly charged. When wiping with a microfiber cloth I can hear the electric crackling.

Yeah, the instrument paneling is extremely scratch sensitive. I just go over it with one of my high quality PakShak MF`s once in a while when its dusty, nothing else really. I don`t see how if it won`t scratch a SUPER scratch sensitive CD it will scratch some plastic.

For the vinyl/plastic protectant I would go for 303. It helps to repels dust - key words `helps`.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response. I wasn`t aware that there were water based protectants out there! I think I`m going to order a bottle now. It also says it`s good for weatherseals too, which sounds good for my car since the doors don`t have window frames (like a convertable).

The last stuff I used on the weatherstripping left marks all over the windows where it made contact with the seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Meguiar`s Interior Quick Detailer and a plush MF towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finish Kare 425 & 108 is an excellent duo for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO

Same here. Haven`t had any trouble with scratches on the cluster as far as I can see, and the Megs QID is a great product. Just picked up another bottle today as a matter of fact, as my original is running low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plexus is pretty good

Post Thanks / Like
    I...I`ve wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and I have started to notice swirls. What does everyone do for this?...
    Get some Meguiar`s Plast-X and one of their round foam applicators (gold color). Apply a little Plast-X to the applicator and polish the lens until all the swirls are gone. It may take a few applications and some effort while hand polishing, but it works great on softer clear plastics (many intrument lenses, headlights, etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome fellow Subaru owner! That instrument plastic is a bear, I try to touch it as little as possible. Honestly if something hasn`t spilled on it, a small can of compressed air will blow the dust off and you don`t need to touch it. If its already a bit rough, PLexus seemed to work great for me. As for the rest of the interior, 303 or Optimums Protectant Plus are products you wouldn`t be disappointed in.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    The cover on my Legacy GT instrument panel is also very scratch sensitive. PlastX works well and Meguiar`s Quick Interior Detailer is great because it is a one-step clean and protect product. Applyinga one step product cuts down scratch probability by 50%.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not bad enough to where I should polish it yet. I just want to be able to clean it, without harming it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    Bingo! I was going to suggest the exact same thing.

The QD will help the MF to slide acrosse the surface. This should be one of the best evasive techniques you can use to clean a sinsitive guage cluster. You could also try Plexus.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it`s all about???

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4...1967 Ford Mustang Coupe...2001 Audi A4 1.8T

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergray
    Plexus is pretty good

I`d give it even stronger marks than that. IMHO nothing else touches it because it was designed specifically for aircraft canopies. (Gee, I`m sounding like a shill, my 2nd Plexus post tonight!)

Thread Information