Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been reading the forums and a lot of people are doing NXT tech wax (x2) waiting 24 hours then applying a layer of Meguiars #26 Hi-tech Carnauba Yellow Wax.

1. How long does this combo last on a black vehicle in the hot sun?

2. Is it really necessary to wax with NXT twice?

3. The bottle of NXT I have is very old. How do I know its still good?

And does anyone have photos of their vehicles using this combo? I`m eager to go out and start waxing but its raining.

Next Combo

Wash with Meg Gold Class wash and conditioner

Clay with Mothers kit

NXT (x1)

Wait 24 hours and wax with #26

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tispho
    I`ve been reading the forums and a lot of people are doing NXT tech wax (x2) waiting 24 hours then applying a layer of Meguiars #26 Hi-tech Carnauba Yellow Wax.

1. How long does this combo last on a black vehicle in the hot sun?

2. Is it really necessary to wax with NXT twice?

3. The bottle of NXT I have is very old. How do I know its still good?

And does anyone have photos of their vehicles using this combo? I`m eager to go out and start waxing but its raining.

Next Combo

Wash with Meg Gold Class wash and conditioner

Clay with Mothers kit

NXT (x1)

Wait 24 hours and wax with #26

1. Really can`t answer question #1 there are tons of variables other than the hot sun.

2. No its not necessary to wax twice but I feel you get better looking results a more even deeper looking finish.

3. NXT hasn`t been out all that long so there should be no worry about your product being bad provided it hasn`t been exposed to heat or cold. Shake the bottle well and if the product is not watery and has a nice consistent look to it you will be fine.
    2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

Post Thanks / Like
    What does puting a coat of #26 on top of NXT offer? I have just clayed and placed two coats of NXT on both of my vehicles and they look great; what will Meg`s #26 due for me?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kedsmx-5
    What does puting a coat of #26 on top of NXT offer? I have just clayed and placed two coats of NXT on both of my vehicles and they look great; what will Meg`s #26 due for me?

Thanks

Some like the look of #26 over NXT more a personal preference than anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of my red silverado with the NXT/26 combo. The NXT looks really good by itself, but the 26 seems to give it that little bit of extra pop. The paint just looks a bit deeper/smoother for a couple weeks.

I don`t think it offers anymore protection, I just use it for looks. If I need the truck to quickly look its best between full detailing sessions, I`ll wash it and slap on a coat of 26 to renew the depth.

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/...ight=silverado

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh well its off to get some 26!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I`m doing something wrong?

NXT x1 with #26 looks a lot deeper and darker, but its not as reflective as Gold Class.

Do I really need to use two layers of NXT?

NXT x1 with #26

Meguiars Gold Class

Post Thanks / Like
    It was my understanding that NXT does not layer because it contains some mild cleaners which would remove some/all of the existing wax/sealant on the paint surface.

NXT was designed this way for those (probably the majority) who were going to be applying NXT directly after washing with no paint preparation with a clay/cleaner/polish.

For this reason, if you attempt to layer NXT you might very well be removing some/all of the previous layer/layers of NXT that you worked so hard to apply.

A carnauba over NXT makes sense. Attempting to layer NXT over itself is probably going to largely be a wasted effort.

From the description of NXT at AG:

"Meguiar’s does not recommend layering Tech Wax over another sealant or wax. It has slight cleaning properties, negating the effect of the sealant rather than adding extra protection or improving the visual effect."

FWIW.

Post Thanks / Like
    NXT has cleaners listed above, so do NOT layer it. 1 coat of NXT with 26 gives a nice shine with great depth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Milestones
    It was my understanding that NXT does not layer because it contains some mild cleaners which would remove some/all of the existing wax/sealant on the paint surface.

NXT was designed this way for those (probably the majority) who were going to be applying NXT directly after washing with no paint preparation with a clay/cleaner/polish.

For this reason, if you attempt to layer NXT you might very well be removing some/all of the previous layer/layers of NXT that you worked so hard to apply.

A carnauba over NXT makes sense. Attempting to layer NXT over itself is probably going to largely be a wasted effort.

From the description of NXT at AG:

"Meguiar’s does not recommend layering Tech Wax over another sealant or wax. It has slight cleaning properties, negating the effect of the sealant rather than adding extra protection or improving the visual effect."

FWIW.

The cleaners in NXT are very mild, it by no means is a cleaner wax. I can tell you (from my MANY uses) it will not clean a surface and performs best on a new or like new surface. Sure when you apply NXT or any wax you are likely removing a little of the previous layer of wax. If you are using NXT alone apply a second coat, it will give you better results.

Your quoting from a non-Meguiars site?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gb387
    Your quoting from a non-Meguiars site?
    Yes - and my information is also based on what I`ve always read on Autopia on numerous occassions.

I have not talked directly with anybody from Meguiars and I`m certainly open to the possibility that I could be proven wrong on this. I`m simply repeating what I`ve seen written many other times here at Autopia when this topic has come up. That`s why I qualified my post with phrases like "It is my understanding" and "probably". But - of course, just because something seems to be the "received wisdom", doesn`t always mean it`s correct.

The Meguiars site does not give very detailed information about their products.

Do you have any information directly from Meguiars indicating that they do recommend layering NXT on itself?

I would be curious to know a more definitive answer to this question since it is now in dispute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody said it is a cleaner wax.

However, it is my understanding that NXT has as least some cleaning properties (presumably enough to ensure that the sealant will bond to the paint without any separate paint preparation with a polish or AIO).

If people can live with the risk that they may be undoing some of the previous layer of NXT when they apply subsequent coats - go for it.

The bottom line is whether you like the result. If people are more satisfied with 2 coats of NXT than one, that is certainly legitimate.

A lot of detailing is subjective after all.......

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used NXT since it`s intro and find that two coats 12-24 hours apart clearly look better than one. I also find that a polish like #7 under the NXT also improves the wet appearance.

The cleaners in NXT don`t remove the #7 or at least enough of it to make it disappear.

I believe I`ve heard Meguiar`s state that none of their LSP products are intended to "layer" but a second coat provides a more even uniform coverage and thus looks better.

In my experience, the addition of a pure carnauba like #26 over NXT seems to deepen the color on darker colored cars. NXT alone seems highly reflective and very wet with only a slight deepening effect. On black, the #26 seems to add depth, warmth and reduce the reflection somewhat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to use NXT, and I noticed a deeper gloss when I had 2 coats of NXT on my car. Here`s a pic in early 06 when I used NXT...

Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Milestones
    Nobody said it is a cleaner wax.

However, it is my understanding that NXT has as least some cleaning properties (presumably enough to ensure that the sealant will bond to the paint without any separate paint preparation with a polish or AIO).

If people can live with the risk that they may be undoing some of the previous layer of NXT when they apply subsequent coats - go for it.

The bottom line is whether you like the result. If people are more satisfied with 2 coats of NXT than one, that is certainly legitimate.

A lot of detailing is subjective after all.......

I too have noticed an deeper better looking finish with a second coat of NXT both paste and liquid versions.

I agree with your last sentence.

Thread Information