Post Thanks / Like
    what would you consider normal for bringing a finish back after wetsanding? obviously this is a general question with many things that can affect the outcome (hardness of the clear being the biggest one).

i`m asking because today i decided to practice a bit more with my hitachi rotary and was not able to remove many of the random scratches on my winter car`s (92 accord) hood. i was using an orange LC w/ OC...then stepped up to OHC. 1700rpm and a few tries and the scratches remained. i could not catch my fingernail on them...

SO, i figured it`s a good time to practice my wetsanding again too. i only used 2500 unigrit...looking back i should have hit it with 3000 as well.

to remove the wetsanding marks i had to do OHC w/ the orange LC many times, then a black LC and OP to finish it up. i`m curious to hear what is recommended since this took me a lot more time than i expected with the rotary...

thanks-
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    As you said there are too many variables and too many different systems and methodologies to say any one is “normal.â€

It’s most common to use a heavy compound with a wool pad to remove sanding scratch.

Lake Country’s chart does suggest that the orange pad can remove #2000 scratch but the compound and paint obviously affect the outcome dramatically.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    paradigm- The difference between 2500 and 3K really can be significant, so yeah, maybe you oughta get some Unigrit 3000 for next time. But 2500 never seems to leave *real* nasty scratches and I even use the 2K unigrit block now and then.

I`m a *little* surprised you had to do a lot more rotary work than you`d exected to remove the sanding scratches, but it doesn`t sound all *that* weird to me. Sometimes things just take a lot longer than we expect them to with the rotary, makes me think I/we oughta have some wool pads for such serious correction, as the other PC mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    To make it easier, wetsand with 3000 grit and then a polish with a wool pad will take them out.

If you want to stop at 2000 or 2500, use a wool pad and Prestra ultra cutting creme regular or Powergloss. You need the cutting wool action and will bring to an excellent gloss! I normally stop at 2000 grit and polish with one of these and the finish will be like glass.

Then use a foam polish pad on a rotory or PC with a fine polish and the rotory haze will dissapear into a deep swirl free surface. The results will be amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you only have OP and OC, then use them with a wool first and then proceed with a foam. Don`t be afraid of the wool rotory swirls. They will come out very easy with a foam pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks all! i do have 3000 unigrit...just didn`t use it this time. i`ll definitely step up to that after the more aggressive unigrit steps.

i currently have the following aggressive polishes: OHC, SSR-3, Meg`s 83. i haven`t tried 83 with the rotary yet, but i`m guessing it`s even more effective via rotary than with the PC.
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg
    To make it easier, wetsand with 3000 grit and then a polish with a wool pad will take them out...

FWIW, even on the Audis I`ve never had any real problems removing the 3K scratches, even with foam pads and just the PC. Even did a few by hand (3M PI-III RC 05933) just to see if it`d work, and it did.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always finish with a 4k grit. Goes much faster to polish out these scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by porta
    I always finish with a 4k grit. Goes much faster to polish out these scratches.

Where do you find 4k grit? All the B&M stores by me do not seem to have that high of a grit composition...
    Ryan

2008 BMW 335i

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot, my local PBE store dont carry anything higher than 2K grit :lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thread Information