Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think I`ve really ever seen a clear breakdown on different paint types. I understand single stage (primer + color coat) and regular clear (primer + color coat + clear coat), but there are some types I don`t understand. Can anyone break it down for me?

What exactly is a tri-coat paint job?

What is ceramiclear? I see it sometimes on autopia but have never read what it actually is.

What is a gel-coat?

What is a tinted clear? Is it as simple as that? Why is it used?

Thanks for any help guys. I tried to google an answer, but couldn`t really find anything.

EDIT: I forgot to also ask about "candy paint". What is that? And has anyone ever heard of "peter pan guts"? I hear rappers say that a lot. Yeah, boy!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll take a stab but will yield to corrections from more knowledgeable members:

Tri stage I believe is when an e-coat is first applied that is an electrostatically charged primer coat of some sort. Then a primer or base coat then the clear (not entirely sure on this one though) thus 3 coats.

Ceramiclear was introduced by Mercedes Benz and actually includes tiny ceramic filaments in the clear coat to add hardness and aversion to chips.

Gel coat is used in marine applications and is injected into a mold when they form the hull. I think it cures as a finished painted hull shell.

Tinted clears are just that - adding pigments to what is normally pigmentless clear paint to enhance the color and add some depth.

Again, I will graciously accept corrections as I like to learn too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Puckman was on the right track with the tri-coat. I just checked on PaintScratch and a tri-coat to them is a basecoat, a midcoat and a clearcoat on top of a coat of primer.

Post Thanks / Like
    And to further muddy the waters, there are pearls where the pearlescent additive is a separate layer between the color coat and the clearcoat, making for four layers. These are virtually impossible to repair/match BTW, at least in my experience.

And AFAIK gelcoats are just for fiberglass and materials like that. Not just for boats and other vehicles (notably kitcars and dune buggies) but also for things like shower stalls and other homewares.

Thread Information