Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone had any experience installing an HID conversion kit?

I purchased a few kits for my toyota celica and GMC jimmy and they should arrive any day now. So I`m wondering if I will have any problems??

I`ll post some pictures when its installed !!

Post Thanks / Like
    It should be plug and play, but make sure that your stock system (including fuses) are good to go. The initial energy required to create an arc in the bulb is quite high and then it`ll quickly fall to a state of lower consumption then regular halogens.

Just remember, you`re going to create all sorts of glare with HIDs. Your stock housings were not designed for this type of lighting. I suggest you look into a proper glare shield or even retrofitting HID projectors in. If you don`t want to do this, make sure to have your lights aimed much lower then normal, and have someone make sure it`s okay (drive by).

Do post pics!!

Post Thanks / Like
    my celica comes with projectors so it should look mint. but my jimmy is a reflective housing so we`ll see how it turns out !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The projectors in your Celica are halogen, not HID, There is a difference.Either way both cars are going to cause lots of glare for other drivers.Besides the fact that what you are doing is illegal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but the projectors will be WAYY better with HID`s then reflectors, which are, a complete waste of money, and yes do BLIND people. The HID`s should be fine in your Celica stock projectors, they`re pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    well I got them installed professionally by Xenon Light Source from where I bought it from,,.. and I think next time i`ll do it myself... too easy.

They turned out to look sick... check em out...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Those look like 8000k (might be your camera) but if they are, swap the bulbs for 6000k, 8000 is rice to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ron231
    Those look like 8000k (might be your camera) but if they are, swap the bulbs for 6000k, 8000 is rice to me.

6k is blueish...8k is almost purple....

Post Thanks / Like
    plug n` play hid kits = mad glare yo and are illegal :nervous:

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plug n` Play HID kits = mad glare yo and are illegal :nervous:

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think there is always bad glare with plug and play kits. I put them in my `05 Legacy GT and the cutoff was sharp and there wasn`t any glare. I used 4600K bulbs because they are more white than blue. Anyway, I never even got flashed with them. However, I agree that with reflector housings you are just asking for trouble. Those things will throw light all over the place and really hurt the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kyotousa
    6k is blueish...8k is almost purple....

actually 8000k is blue 6000k is supposed to be white, in fact sunlight is rated at 6500k this is why 6500k (aka D65) is the perfect white balance for tv calibration (i am a home theater nerd)

So basically, since D65 is natural daylight, real 6000k hids are not blue.

If you get TRUE 6000K bulbs, not cheap ones, when you turn them on in the sun they should appear almost the same color as the sun.

D65 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I quote wikipedia "D65` corresponds roughly to a midday sun in Western / Northern Europe, hence it is considered and called as well a daylight illumination."

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I understand the 10000k and 12000k are more of a deeper blue with some purple hues. So i`m happy with the ones I got.

I`ve got a few more sold for my brother and some friends and I got the seller to give a group buy price of $200 usd including postage costs. anyone else interested?

this is the site I bought from Xenon Light Source - Wholesale & Distribution of Quality HID Lights Worlwide

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... New user with 5 posts, of which 4 is in a thread about HID installation when this is an AUTO DETAILING website, and now you`re linking to the website for the product.

Sounds fishy don`t you think kapsco?

Post Thanks / Like
    glare is a complex issue. Just because you have a "cutoff" doesn`t mean squat. The human eye is much more sensitive to blue tones, and thus, will be much more sensitive to ANY glare produced by HIDs. And yes, they WILL glare in housings not SPECIFICALLY designed for your vehicle and HID application!

eBay projectors DO NOT count. Heck, even on luxury cars that come with OEM HIDs, just the *slightest* bump in the road and people coming the other way are momentarily blinded (people coming the other way like me). It gets worse when you have SUVs with HIDs, and people in lower cars like me. Ugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information