Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Hey...

I am planning on detailing a customer car (late 90s toyota sienna, white paint) and it appears to have no clearcoat. My first thought was the paint failed, but after inspecting it, it was totally uniform, and does not look like clearcoat failure. Also, the lower half is gold and has a nice sheen, where as the top is totally dull. I apologize for no pics, I didn`t have my camera at pre-inspection. She said it hasn`t ever been waxed, and washed rarely. It shows.

I am gussing the paint is single stage, but am worried about approaching the polishing. Should I do the same steps as car with CC? I need a little advice, since I have never done a car without clear. Thanks!
    :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    Most Japanese manufacturers did not clear coat their `90+ cars... I restored a hazed out `94 Paseo with a PC and SSR2.5, 1 on orange pad....

Post Thanks / Like
    what materials/tools/abbrassives are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Work on it the same as you would a CC finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that won`t be too big of a deal. It`s just a little bit of oxidation - you might want to use an old crappy pad and some AIO to remove it before abrasive polishing.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Blink21Me said they have used single stage a lot at that time. My `91 Supra is single stage. Good news is that as long there is no paint failure, just dullness, that should come out just great. Same thing was happening on my Supra too but it quickly came back to life. You can start with Meguiar`s #1 on PC as a pretty low risk and see whether there is a hope and take it from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I an old thread about faded SS red I remember Scottwax recommending first using AIO with a folded terry cloth towel to take off the bulk of the oxidation because the terry cloth would have more bite than a foam pad.

This is also the kind of thing that ColorX is intended for, to help restore faded paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually keep around a handful of those crappy white pads that PC`s come with and some crappy terry cloth bonnets for situations like this.. AIO or Prime are your friend when tackling oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like
    this is the result with one pass of SSR2.5 on an orange pad on a PC...

Before;

After;

takes a little time, though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink21Me
    this is the result with one pass of SSR2.5 on an orange pad on a PC...
    Beautiful! :2thumbs: That is exactly how my single stage red `91 Supra too responded to similar treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blink21Me, that is exactly what it looks like, just white. It is like a huge piece of white (and dirty) chalk.

Products: Sonus Green Clay; Sonus SFX1,2,3; Sonus SFX pads; Klasse twins, P21s for the major stuff. I have some other random products, mostly OTC. Oh, and a PC!

what is the time you it took you to do that blink21me?
    :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    it actually took me a total of at least 24 hours of labortime; that`s wash-->clay-->wash-->SSR2.5-->SSR1-->AIO-->SG-->SG-->SG... Believe me, it`s not easy with the PC. If you`re attempting to get that white van done within just a couple extra hours than you would a normal car, expect your arms to get numb and quite sore the next day... It was well worth it after it was done, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooutstanding work .

Now picture this... you want to sell your car. how much would you fetch with the faded vs afterwards.

Question: Could you have used something with more bite? Like a a yellow cutting pad and then SSR 3 or something to that extend?

Cheers

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by titsataki
    Ooutstanding work .

Now picture this... you want to sell your car. how much would you fetch with the faded vs afterwards.

Question: Could you have used something with more bite? Like a a yellow cutting pad and then SSR 3 or something to that extend?

Cheers

Nick
    that time I only had orange pad and SSR2.5 handy... Yelow pad was out...

Thread Information