Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok i have an aquantance who is painting his car matte black and we were trying to figure out how you would detail it. I mean you dont want that High gloss and depth you get from a wax and all other traditional methods.

So what do you guys think?

heres a few pics for reference.

(not his car)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Its not called DETAILing for nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate flat cars. I know a few people with them. If it will have clear over it you can wax it to protect it but why even bother with a flat finish. I say just keep it clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    I hate flat cars. I know a few people with them. If it will have clear over it you can wax it to protect it but why even bother with a flat finish. I say just keep it clean.

Normally i would totally agree with you as to just keep it clean but heres the thing. Its an Enzo Ferrari! Thats not exactly a car you want to leave open to the elements. But thats a good point on the clear coat but if i start adding wax onto it wouldnt it reduce the "flatness" (:nixweiss ) of it? Thank god Im not the one whos going to be detailing it

Post Thanks / Like
    did I read that right? You are doing this to an Enzo?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the paint or clear coat is matte, will a wax really make it look glossy? i think it will look cool though, super mean and stealthy.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If i remember correctly its a special type of clear that give it the flat look. Not that theres no clear on it at all.

With that said i would treat it like any other clear. Polish the defects away and lay down a coat of sealent or wax. Do a test spot of course, to be safe lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    did I read that right? You are doing this to an Enzo?
    Your eyes do not decieve you I did say Enzo Ferrari.

And just ot clarify IM not doing this, a person i know is and he consulted me for advice.

Tyoung and truedetailer I think you are right with a clear coat it wouldnt reduce the matte finish but im not sure and I cant find anything to give me a straight answer. Hence the thread.

because if its a rough surfaced clearcoat and you put wax on it will fill some of those pits wouldnt it? also if you polish would it get rid of the little peaks?

this is what concerns me.

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On this site it certainly seems that we only tend to work on cars with a clear coat and a nice glossy finish, I know that I have little to no experience working on flat matte finishes. Although this type of paint has been around for years, maybe check out a forum for rat-rods or hot rods. I would be interested in a solution for this as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going for the stealth look, huh? Kinda hard to do with an Enzo, LOL. Have you seen this thread?

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...ighlight=matte

On the website for the company that makes it they say:

"Maintenance on Carizzma is very easy: Just hand wash, dry and you`re done. The paint rarely scratches because of the flat DC92/DC98 clear and you never have to wax it!!!"

Carizzma

Of course that doesn`t address how to protect the paint from stuff like bird bombs and other hazards. It also looks to me like it would be essentially impossible to touch up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by velobard
    Going for the stealth look, huh? Kinda hard to do with an Enzo, LOL.

On the website for the company that makes it they say:

"Maintenance on Carizzma is very easy: Just hand wash, dry and you`re done. The paint rarely scratches because of the flat DC92/DC98 clear and you never have to wax it!!!"

Of course that doesn`t address how to protect the paint from stuff like bird bombs and other hazards. It also looks to me like it would be essentially impossible to touch up.
    The later part is the big one im woried about but i guess if it doesnt have to be waxed theres not much to wory abour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would say straight Carnuba. The paint is not normally what shines as much as the clear coat. So that should not be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think its going to be a daily driver right? Well if he has the money to buy one and want to paint it flat matte black he might, but what I`m getting at is if he only drives it every once in a while I dont think he will have a problem by just washing or getting it washed. I have a car that is the same color, granted its a 96 eclipse BUT its not my DD and it stays very clean with just a wash every week. I never thought to wax or polish it to tell you the truth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember if it`s clearcoated you`re not dealing with paint, you`re dealing with clearcoat........try a paint cleaner or light compound. Then wax it. It shouldn`t look any glossier, just cleaner and more flat....:nixweiss (no I`ve never done one either, but it`s just logical) apples from apples, oranges from oranges, glossy paint under clear shines glossy, flat paint under clear shines flat.:nixweiss

Even on a glossy car, you`re still not dealing with the paint, you`re dealing with the clearcoat over a glossy paint. Waxes don`t shine they protect, plus you`re never really making a car more shiny, you`re just restoring/reconditionin it back to it`s origonal state, right?

If he`s really worried about it, tell him to do a very small spot like inside the door jams or something by hand and see if it has any effect on the glossiness of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the color similiar to the Denim Black on the Harley bikes? This color is more satin than flat but Harley Davidson doesn`t recommend using wax on the color.

I have a friend with a VRod in that color and I recall him saying most people use Windex to clean it.

Maybe someone with knowledge of Harley`s can shed some light on caring for such a color. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    I dont think its going to be a daily driver right? Well if he has the money to buy one and want to paint it flat matte black he might, but what I`m getting at is if he only drives it every once in a while I dont think he will have a problem by just washing or getting it washed. I have a car that is the same color, granted its a 96 eclipse BUT its not my DD and it stays very clean with just a wash every week. I never thought to wax or polish it to tell you the truth.

Sadly yes this will be his daily driver he already has a yellow enzo that will be his baby and this one he says "hes going to drive it, track it and run it hard" For an idea heres a pic of the rest of his collection. However missing in here is a red gallardo spider, Rolls Royce Drophead coupe, Ferrari 599 and a Ferrari 430.

O and the white countach has 212 original miles on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information