Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    On my VW and some Mercedes the inner fender liner is made of a felt like fabric material and it is RELUCTANT to give up on the dirt and junk it holds. I finally got to wash my Rabbit yesterday at the coin op with Bucket Free Car Wash and I blasted the wheel wells as well as I could but they are still white with salt. When I got home I tried to scrub it a bit but everything started to freeze so I quit, it didn`t look like it got much out anyway.

I`m thinking I might have to fabric dye them in the spring?

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
    ...BlackSheepSquad...

Post Thanks / Like
    Your wheel wells are made of fabric? That`s weird... I`m not sure how I would deal with that..

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the new Lexus have the fabric in the wheel wells as well. I would be interested in a solution to this problem as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`ve heard it is to help soundproof the cabin from road noise. I haven`t dealt with one yet but I`m guessing you should treat it like the carpet on the inside but use some more aggressive ratios. The key to keeping those wheel wells clean is regular maintanance because otherwise they are going to be soiled so badly that replacing the carpet in the wheelwell becomes a better option.
    Learning How To Detail the Eco-Friendly Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Hm.. If there`s carpet in the wheelwell, wouldn`t it deteriorate easily from all the dirt, mud, dust that accumulates there? Why would manufacturers design carpet wheelwells?

Post Thanks / Like
    To cut/diffuse high pitch impact noises like stones, etc.

A strong foamy cleaner plus a hot water pressure washer should do the trick. You can steam it as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    On my g/f`s Rabbit I try to just blast them with the hose as good as possible when I wash it. Like others said you can treat it like interior carpet. Clean them good and apply a protectant like Scotch Guard or 303 Fabric protectant. That`s my plan when the spring rolls around.

Audis have them as well, front and rear. At least the Rabbit just has them in the rear.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a material developed by Mercedez and sold to a couple of different manufacturures. It is not really fabric, but a material that is used for two reasons. First is for sound dampening. The second is, that it does not show dirt much at all. To clean it, they recommend using a solid cloth or sponge, and regular soap. It comes clean fairly easily on our mercedez.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife`s Volvo XC-90 has it too. Thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtpa
    This is a material developed by Mercedez and sold to a couple of different manufacturures. It is not really fabric, but a material that is used for two reasons. First is for sound dampening. The second is, that it does not show dirt much at all. To clean it, they recommend using a solid cloth or sponge, and regular soap. It comes clean fairly easily on our mercedez.

It holds on to leaves and particles like velcro though. The salt has really taken it`s toll and covered it in white. I`m thinking about investing in one of the Bissel steam cleaners for the spring so I suppose I`ll give it a go with that.

At least the fronts are just regular plastic though, keeping the wells clean and dressed helps it to look a little lower, at least until I get some coil overs on it, then I won`t have to worry because you won`t see them! Anyone need some sport springs?

Thanks!
    ...BlackSheepSquad...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej

Audis have them as well, front and rear. At least the Rabbit just has them in the rear.

I`ll vouch for that - it`s like an indoor / ourdoor carpet with a low pile and tight weave. I found a strong hose spray does pretty well, but pine needles are hard to get out no matter what you do.

It does help quiet the road noise though.

Post Thanks / Like
    The New BMW`s I have done latley all have the fabric wells. It is a real pain to get clean. The best I have tried is to spray with APC and scrub with a cheap MF towel once or twice. I have not found a dressing that really does anything to make them look better though.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Mazda 6 also has this "fabric" in the rear wheel wells. I couldn`t believe it the first time I detailed a 6. Weird, but I can see how it would be effective.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    The fabric is not fabric at all, it`s felt. And it was not developed by Mercedes, it was developed by an Italian textile company. It is actually a three ply material consisting of layers of felt, extruded plastic, and again felt.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just starting another BMW detail (545i) and it has that material. I power washed the fender wells and applied Adams Under Carriage spray. I just started using this product and it is very nice. I`ll post pics of the 545i Before/After tonight.

Here`s a before & after on a black X5 that I did the other day. Really dries neutral (not super dull nor super glossy). The wells seems to just disappear and give an OEM finish which is my goal since the Bimmers are all for re-sale.

Before:

After Adams Under Carriage

I tested a wheel well on the 545i last night and it worked well.

Totoland Mach
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information