Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I have a 97 expedition and it has what looks to be black glass on the door window frame. If you`re familiar with the vehicle you`ll know what I`m talking about. This is the best picture I could find on google:

You`ll notice the black area between the front window and rear window. That`s what I`m talking about.

Anyhow, there are significant water spots on this area and I`ve tried removing them with Zaino glass cleaner to no avail. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks,

Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    If your talking about teh around the door trim, its not glass. Some AIO should do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    A cleaner wax or polish may work. Claying may work too. I`ve had very limited success with using them.

If they are water spots (mineral deposits) and not etches something acidic usually will set them free. Test a small spot out first to make sure it will work and that you won`t have any surprise. 50/50 vinegar water mix may work by rubbing the area with a towel dampened with the solution. On glass I use 0000 steel wool. Avoid letting it run down the sides. I hate the smell of vinegar so don`t use it. I use wheel acid instead (sometimes diluted) but it is to be used with great care. It`s a very fast acting product and can cause damage to surfaces very quickly. I`ve got two water spot products by Automagic and Duragloss that I`ve not used yet. I`m hoping they work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Danforz,

I`m actually referring to the 2 vertical black pieces between the front and rear window (~4" wide each). It looks like some sort of glass but it`s hard to tell because of the coloring. It could be fiberglass or some other material.

PhaRO,

These water spots have been on for a while. I`ve tried the vinegar solution with no results. I`m a bit afraid to use an aggressive polish because I don`t know how the material will react.

Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    try AIO it`s more of a chemical cleaner then a polish

and I don`t think it is glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Klasse AIO will do this perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like AIO is the way to go. I wonder if I can find any locally. I was hoping to give it a shot this weekend.

Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6-speed
    Sounds like AIO is the way to go. I wonder if I can find any locally. I was hoping to give it a shot this weekend.

Russell

I`ve heard that some BMW parts places carry it

you could call around

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the same problems with the expedition I have done. I take it you have zaino products, considering you have the glass polish. If you have the zpc polish, that will work great if they are not etched completely in.

Post Thanks / Like
    rydawg,

Yes, I do have Zaino products and I do have some ZPC. I was just woried about marring what I thought was glass with the ZPC. But if you`ve used it before, I`ll give it a try. By the way, what material is that area?

BigJimZ28,

Thanks for the heads up on getting Klasse locally. If the ZPC doesn`t work, I`ll give it a shot.

Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    WS6,

If I remember correctly it is like a lexan material. Either zaino plastic polish will do it or the zpc should do wonders also. I use zpc on plastics and smooth trim with the best results. If that does work then use z8 after! Let me know how it works!

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned accidentially that Wolfgang Swirl Remover cleans and shines the back plastic pieces on Tahoes and Suburbans - same area as that Ford. Come to think of it, that was the only thing WG Swirl Remover was good for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    I learned accidentially that Wolfgang Swirl Remover cleans and shines the back plastic pieces on Tahoes and Suburbans - same area as that Ford. Come to think of it, that was the only thing WG Swirl Remover was good for.

That`s funny...I had the same results...

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if it`s worth buying WG just for that! I really like their Sealer though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    I don`t know if it`s worth buying WG just for that! I really like their Sealer though.

I have all of their products and I was not impressed at all, especially a week later when all the oils washed out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information