Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What would be the best thing to use? My car stays clean, but my wheels look filthy. I am curious what to use that won`t scratch the highly polished lips of my rims. Also, when I wash my car normally, the soap i use on the car (Meguires Gold Class) is safe on the rims right?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Gold Class all the time on my rims, and no probs here bud

Just don`t forget to rinse the wheels before applying any kinda shampoo to make sure you`ve got rid of any brake dust / road debris - you don`t wanna be spreading that around yer rims.

PS. Only wash the wheels when the car is cold, ie. you haven`t been driving it, as you don`t want to damage any brakes !

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll suggest you get a couple of dedicated wash mitts and some Optimum No Rinse wash. That would work.

You can also try Michelin`s brake dust repellant. That can help minimize the heavy accumulation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use QEW or ONR to wash only the wheels. Make sure the wheels are kept wax/sealed to keep the brake dust from bonding (and subsequently make it easy to wash off with QEW or ONR)

-T

Post Thanks / Like
    I would assume I`d use wax I would use on my car on my wheels since they are clear coated yes?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would stick to a sealant. Poorboys makes one specifically for wheels that I`ve heard good things about. I used Klasse AIO and SG on my car so instead of purchasing new products, I simply used that and it works great. Someone in my office told me to use pledge on my wheels just today. I wouldn`t go that far, but what do I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone is always worrying about brake dust, why dont you all get ceramic pads? My Jeep came with them from the factory, and while they are alittle loud sometimes, Ive yet to see any dust on them in the 3 years Ive had my Jeep. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    I use MegĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s GC soap on my wheels all the time. Works great. I just do a 1-bucket wash for wheels only (with a dedicated bucket just for wheels) but I always rinse my brush before putting it back in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by icall
    ...Someone in my office told me to use pledge on my wheels just today. I wouldn`t go that far, but what do I know.
    ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s mostly silicone oil. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not something you want on your brakes.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll want to use some type of sealant or dedicated wheel wax (just use a sealant and save some cash). A regular carnauba isn`t going to last long because it can`t take the heat, or at least that`s the conventional wisdom around here.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLibby04
    Everyone is always worrying about brake dust, why dont you all get ceramic pads? My Jeep came with them from the factory, and while they are alittle loud sometimes, Ive yet to see any dust on them in the 3 years Ive had my Jeep. :2thumbs:

Most all brake pads are ceramic .

Post Thanks / Like
    I sometimes use a qd or if they are pretty dirty I use onr in a spray bottle.
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the mothers polish. Put some on and wipe it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am guessing you have a BMW....LOL JK - only reason I say that is i can wash a BMW and take one 10 mile trip and have to come back and wash the wheels to keep the car looking clean...lol

but i use ONR and some crappy wheel mitts to wash....really easy, especially when you wax your wheels....you will still get the brake dust deposits, but clean up is MUCH easier when the wheels are frequently waxed....waxing is done with OCW for me....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    i am guessing you have a BMW....LOL JK - only reason I say that is i can wash a BMW and take one 10 mile trip and have to come back and wash the wheels to keep the car looking clean...lol

but i use ONR and some crappy wheel mitts to wash....really easy, especially when you wax your wheels....you will still get the brake dust deposits, but clean up is MUCH easier when the wheels are frequently waxed....waxing is done with OCW for me....

I was thing the same thing

if it`s that bad CHANGE THE PADS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtpa
    I really like the mothers polish. Put some on and wipe it off.

Go careful with polishes on wheels - you really don`t want to tickle the lacquer on the things which are closest to the ground.

Stick to regular washing, and high-polymer waxes on the odd occasion

Post Thanks / Like
    On my cars, I use a good wheel cleaner (in my case EO All Wheel and Tire Cleaner), then put on a coat of 845IW. Heat doesn`t bother it and it will last a couple of months at least. During that time, I just use my regular car shampoo as crud/brake dust doesn`t stick. When the 845 is wearing down, I start all over.

E-Jag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information